Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Overseas CWI experiences?????????
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-23-2003 17:06
I'm doing a little research and wondering how many CWI's have practiced overseas, where, and what your experiences were like? Personally, my CWI has taken me to Mexico and South Korea. I was interested to find that 99% of the standards I used while in these two particular countries were US Standards (ASME, ASTM, AWS, etc.). Has anyone worked in Australia or New Zealand? These are the two areas I happen to be researching and have learned that New Zealand has no current CWI's (3 expired) and Australia has 1 SCWI, 1 CWI and 2 CAWI's who are current. Naturally, each of these countries has their own program but I really thought the QC-1 Standard might be more prelevent.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-29-2003 03:47
Gidday jon20013,
I am a New Zealander living and working in Queensland, Australia.
My Welding Inspectors certification was obtained from CBIP
(Certification Board for Inspection Personnel) in New Zealand and is also recognised in Australia but unfortunately not anywhere else in the world.
As far as I am aware Australians have there certification issued by WTIA (Welding Technology Institute of Australia)
A while back I was looking at obtaining either CSWIP or CWI qualifications but you were required to travel overseas to take the course/exam and it was not cheap.Without a guaranteed overseas assignment it was hard to justify the cost as I did not require them for work in NZ or Australia.
New Zealand uses the American codes ( ASME/ANSI and API) very extensively whereas the Australians prefer their own codes unless it is an overseas contractor ( Bechtel, Fluor etc) involved.
Hope this is of some help,
Regards,
Shane Feder
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-29-2003 13:49
Shane;

Thanks for the overseas CWI information. I think you and I might have spoken before. I'm an American married to a kiwi (lucky guy!!!!).

Our plans are to relocate to New Zealand within the next 10 years (hopefully South Island, Marlborough Region but also open to North Island).

I've been pushing both AWS and CBIP to have a reciprocity agreement such as that enjoyed between AWS and CSWIP. To date I've not had any success. However, I am a former staff member of AWS and still have a few very good contacts in industry so I intend to continue pushing for this.

Aside from my own selfish issues of wanting my own certification recognised in NZ, I also desire that NZ be brought more recognised in the welding world. After all, HERA probably has some of the most advanced seismic studies anywhere in the world!

Okay, I would appreciate any additional information you could provide about working in NZ in the weld inspection industry and, for my part, if you need any additional information, contacts, etc., about working international I will be happy to provide them to you!

Have a great day!

Warm regards,

Jon
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 11-05-2003 05:05
Jon20013
I too am an American married to a "kiwi girl" and had taken the opportunity to move to NZ between 1997-99. I had just left Bechtel as a QC welding inspector with my CWI and thought of doing just what you want to do. I didn't have much luck in that field but I sent my "CV" (resume) to the local polytechs on the north island and landed a job teaching welding at Manukau Institute of Technology in the town of Otara. The experience was invaluable and my co-workers were helpful and interesting. Our department was a mini united nations with instructors from all over the world. I was the American representative.
New Zealand has standardized their welding training under NZQA so if you have an inspection background with welding experience it shouldn't be too hard to transition to teaching.
If I've learned one thing about "kiwi's" it's this, they are very resourceful and because of their economic limitations they typically will either have two jobs or have a side business in order to maintain their living standards.
It's a great mix of cultures down there with friendly people.
For what it's worth!
Curtis
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-05-2003 12:44
Curtis;

Thanks for that input! I am hoping by the time we get there I'll be real close to being able to collect my social security which should go far down there but I will definately want to stay in the field and really appreciate your advice!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-22-2004 18:23
Sorry everyone, I just wanted to bump this back up to see if I can gather any more responses. How about other overseas CWI experiences outside of New Zealand and Australia???
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 01-28-2004 03:00
Jon,

I used my CWI on a power plant construction project in the Philippines in 1997-98 for structural steel, pilings and chimney flues welded using AWS D1.1. The design was by a British company to BS standards, but their specs permitted AWS D1.1 as an alternative. Two QC inspectors and I did welding procedure qualifications, welder qualifications and visual inspection for the civil/structural fabrication and erection work. While there my CWI renewal came due and I had to find someone to administer the eye exam and notarize my renewal application while working 6 hours drive North of Manila (only 120 miles). It was interesting trying to find someone close enough with the right credentials to keep from going back into Manila (not that I wouldn't have minded the chance to get offsite for a couple of days!).

Marty
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Overseas CWI experiences?????????