Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI Training outline
- - By apiguy (*) Date 10-24-2003 15:38
I been given the responsibility of preparing a CWI training class for several employees at my company. Does anyone know where I can find a suggested topical outline ? The AWS website only gives the number of questions that will come from very broad areas. I intend to teach to role of the CWI and not "how to pass a test". I am a CWI and an ASNT Level III as well as being a API 510,653, and 570 certified so I have lots of battlefield stories to share and know the kinds of information to teach, but I was just looking for an outline to hand out to my guys.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-24-2003 18:29
A training class is definitely a good idea. If you do not have a copy of Welding Inspection Technology (the AWS seminar text) I would recommend buying it and the workbook now. The modules are the outline for the examination. I have training manuals going back to about 1975 and WIT is the easiest for students to follow. I also use WI-80 and it may still may be available from AWS.

I agree with your approach to teach practical information, however there is a certain philosophy regarding the testing process. The Body of Knowledge is helpful since it lists the approximate number of questions on each subject. For examination purposes you would spend more time on definitions than safety. In the real world of welding, safety is more important than being a walking dictionary.

Persons taking professional examinations (college examinations, bar examinations, nursing examinations etc.) will usually spend some time reviewing the testing process. Just the nature of the CWI examination (multiple choice questions, time limits, reference materials etc.) always rattle a few people.

Check out some of the older posts on this forum in the Certification and Qualification section regarding the CWI examination and you will see what I mean. However if you still want to put together an outline you are at the right place and are asking the right people.
Parent - By don (**) Date 10-29-2003 02:30
contact me via email, I am a teacher and train teachers for the CWE and CWI. I will be glad to help you.
Don Murrell CWE/CWI
GCCC/GCHS AWS SENSE WELDING PROGRAM
Garden City, Ks 67846
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI Training outline