Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Career Advice?????
- - By jdove55 (*) Date 10-25-2003 01:06
I have about 4 years of experience and I went to a two year technical college for welding. My problem is this, it seems as though the only jobs I can find are in production shops, making large numbers of trinkets. I have applied to the local iron workers union. I am just wondering if I would be able to adjust to being high up in the air, if they take me on. I am currently taking an evening coarse to brush up on and improve my tig skills. I like tig welding, I just feel I need to do it everyday to get really good at it. I am pretty good at aluminum. I need some work on stainless. I guess my main question is if anybody has some advice to help a young guy like me get some good experience in the field. A lot of places tell me I need more experience. How can I get experience if everybody says this??? I want to learn and I will work hard to do it.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-25-2003 02:45
Hi Jdove55!
Have you tried the Sheetmetal workers union or the Pipefitters/Steamfitters locals in your area? They have pretty good apprenticeship programs that are well worth it... The Ironworkers do not do much TIG (GTAW) welding so, that's where I would inquire!!!
The Machinists and Aerospace workers also have an excellent program!!!
Although you'll have to go through another four to five years of training before you reach full journeyman status... Still, just think about how much money, how much pride you'll have in yourself by being able to call yourself a journeyman!!! here's the kicker: You'll be getting paid while you learn, and you do'nt even have to worry aboutleaving your family behind like in the armed forces... If none of these unions have apprenticeships available, then join the NAVY, or the MARINES or the Air Force or even the ARMY to get some further training... If you've already been there then, I strongly suggest that you save your money to purchase an inverter type power source like a Miller Maxstar (Most welding Mfger's/distributors have payment options that might advantageous for you if you cannot afford to buy one outright) that enable you to practice welding while running on120 volts AC current that's available all over the place... Of course, you'll also need to buy other equipment besides the power source, and if you already have experience then, you'll know what you need...If you really want to become proficient in TIG then, start by welding as thin material as possible, like soda cans, aluminum foil, razor blades etc. Once you become successful practicing with these items, you'll find that you've learned how to control your eye/hand/fine amp control but, this does'nt mean you're ready yet!!! after these exercises are completed, you must learn how to TIG weld with filler metal in all positions and then, only then can you consider yourself proficient in TIG regardless of whatever anyone else has told you!!! So if you want to really work hard to get where you want to be then, make every effort to get access to a GTAW (TIG) machine that's capable of running on 120 volts AC and practice everyday until you can do it in your SLEEP!!! Oh yeah if you get so tired that you do'nt want to weld anymore??? PRACTICE SOME MORE!!!
Btw, DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE... If you want to get the experience then, do'nt waist your time feeling bad about your situation by not having enough EXPERIENCE!!! If you really want it then go out and GET IT!!! A determined person will go out and get the necessary resources, training, and experience in order to achieve the goals they seek so long as they STAY FOCUSED!!! So, NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Good Luck, and all the best!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By jdove55 (*) Date 10-31-2003 01:47
Thanks for the advice everybody. ssbn727, your message put things in perspective for me, thanks. I have applied to the ironworkers union, called the sheetmetal union and they are taking applications for the pipefitters in Nov. and I plan on going there. I looked into getting a miller maxstar, they said they don't have a maxstar that has ac current. What do you think of the dynasty 200 or 300?? A syncrowave 250 dx is a lot less expensive. A lot bigger machine to keep in the one stall of the garage though. I think I'm going to have to wait a while, the shop I work at now is closing down and I am having trouble finding work. Let me know what machine would be best in your opinion though, at least I can price them out for a while. thanks
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-25-2003 03:28
If you live in Kansas this may not be practical but go rock climbing. Go with experienced people, they will make sure that you are properly roped etc. so you don't kill yourself. Definitely don't just go solo. Most outdoor stores and college outing clubs would be able refer you to people with experience. If you enjoy that you are at least a step toward tolerating high work.

In addition to ssbn's recomendations carpenters also weld.

A willingness to reside in Iraq might open some oportunities with contractors with work there.

Good luck
Bill
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-25-2003 18:41
In addition to SSBN recommendations I would like to add the Boilermakers. The apprenticeship program is how I got in and you should be able to find contact information at http://www.bnap.com/ . Of course the amount of work in the area may dictate how fast you can get in but your welding experience may help.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By peter vacco (*) Date 10-28-2003 04:55
if you don't have an in to a union job, a "career" in welding outside of perhaps the food machinery industry, or maybe a lucky shot getting onto a starup company , is a loser.
it's just the way it is. "welding" per-se does not pay. any more than drivng a forklift does not pay, it's just another industrial skill that anybody in the trades needs to know. sure, you might be "really good" , great for you, you'll get more hours, but not much More Money.
on the other hand, on never have to suck up to anybody to glue your own stuff together, and that's always a nice feeling.
mig welding, even to code, is sort of a semi-skilled deal, pay wise. but if you are determind to make a living at tig, aim for canneries, wineries, and food equipment mfg shops, they have a larger margine of profit to play with and need careful and motivated welder/fabricaters.
bone up on the simple math and grasp the essence of bending hydraulic tubing, it's easy, and it helps with the equipment mfg resume.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Career Advice?????