Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / joining cast-iron to mild steel
- - By waps75 (*) Date 10-25-2003 18:51
hi to you guys,I am fabricating a sliding gate and need to attach some grey cast iron onaments to the mild steel bars of the gate,what type of electrode is best suited for this job? I was told 312 L stainless electrodes can work.I try it and they seem to hold.I also tried 308 s/s but found the puddle to have some cracks I don't want to be guesting,I want the suitable electrode or any that can work. some short welds will be enough to hold the cast iron in place.any surgestions.thanks in advance.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 10-26-2003 04:27
Most 300 series stainless will crack at some point, due to the excess carbon in the cast iron.

If color match is important, a Nickel 55 cast iron electrode works well.

If performance is the prime thing, I've had great success with Aluminum Bronze A-2. This is not silicon bronze, but aluminum bronze.

Available in stick, mig, or tig-it is usually the rod of choice for me when cast iron, particularly dissimilar metal cast iron comes into shop.
Method can make a big difference as well. For most large items that cannot be preheated evenly all over, a "cold weld" technique seems to work well.

This consists of putting in short welds, no longer than 1-2 inches at a time. If the weld area is too hot for the bare hand right after welding, take a break. This method has worked well for me for years.

Back to your case-ornaments and bars should not overheat the adjacent metal.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / joining cast-iron to mild steel