Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AC vs DC in stick welding
- - By Esa Date 10-28-2003 09:19
Can somebody tell me why is DC current better than AC? Or is it? I know that arc blow only appears with DC. So in than point of view AC is better. But are seams welded with DC current stronger than those welded with AC? If yes, why?

Esa
Parent - By - Date 10-28-2003 14:31
DC,is better because you can choose more out of position electrodes! DC has a smoother arc,and arc starts are easier for most rods such as 7018
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-28-2003 21:10
DC provides better (deeper) penetration in most cases. That is to say the penetration caracteristics can be controled with voltage adjustments.

As far as it being stronger; I would think if a full penetration weld was done correctly the process is a moot point. But I have heard opinions from well established Metallugist to the contrary.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-28-2003 22:06
I believe a 70ksi rod is worth 70ksi of deposited weld material. And 60ksi is worth 60ksi.....AC/DC??what ever the mfg. recommends for the particular rod you are running. I agree with RonG that a DC rod in RP has better digging characteristics and SP gives a higher electrode melting rate.
But to say one is stronger than the other(AC vs DC) is not an accurate statement.
my two cents,
John Wright
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 10-30-2003 00:52
I was always lead to believe that DC SP(+)? polaity gave the best 'penetration'
We don't use 'straight' and 'reverse' over here in the UK, only + and -, so it can get a bit confusing!!
However, as long as a test piece is acceptable to whatever 'code', I don't see a problem!
I have found that it is easier to weld structual steel ie 'I' beams with AC because of the arc-blow problems with DC! I think this gives a better weld overall than one done with DC (less spatter etc) But that is my thoughts only!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-30-2003 11:35
rodofgod,
AC rods are what we use here in our shop too.
John Wright
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 10-30-2003 12:36
All things being equal, DC+ (reverse polarity) gives you the most penetration. AC is next and DC- (straight polarity) the least amount of penetration. In my opinion, DC+ is a much smoother running arc.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AC vs DC in stick welding