Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / how bad is chopsaw?
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 10-28-2003 13:37
I have a line on a chopsaw cheap. Good quality. 14" Miwaukee. How does this compare in cutting with an angle grinder in terms of: fire hazard,blade explosion,noise,filth,quality of cut? I don't cut huge amounts of stuff, but the sawzall, cutting wheel approach is just kinda clunky. It will be small angle mostly.
Parent - - By kid Date 10-28-2003 17:03
I have been using mine for years, but I try to do all my cuts outside the shop. It is noisy, dirty, but quick. Never had a blade fail. Is very accurate when used properly. My cutoff wheel on angle grinder is a last resort.
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 10-28-2003 17:50
Get one of those 4 by 6" bandsaws. It is quiet and you can use it in the verticle position to do freehand work, very handy.
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 10-28-2003 20:41

Noisy, dirty, throws sparks everywhere. Think of it like a giant cutoff wheel. Still a pretty useful tool!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-28-2003 21:04
Good tool in a fixed location requiring you to bring & align your work to the tool vs portable band saw that allows you take the tool to the work. And much more versatile.
Parent - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 10-29-2003 00:27
Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=210
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=159

Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-29-2003 05:03
We've got an industrial 24" (don't know the brand) version. As previously stated noisy, dirty, (ours usually has about a wheelbarrow full of dirt behind it) sparks everywhere, especially to the back (put a piece of metal behind it to safely catch the sparks). Wear that eye protection!

Now the plus side- It's easy to set up a simple stop so you can make a bunch of identical parts. It cuts fast. It cuts most anything, You can cut off stuff that's hard as a file, and thin stuff (like exhaust pipe) either of which will (or might) defeat a bandsaw.

The quality of cut is nice on the surface with flash on the backside that you have to remove.

We've never blown up a wheel but for that and the sparks and the dirt I'd keep the guards on.

I think you'll like it.
Bill
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 10-29-2003 13:19
I may take it back for refund. Just not sure if it'd work out for my attached garage shop. I also have a small utility room 10 x 10 that is completely covered with sheetrock, the main garage is not however. (Although the the house side is) I ventilate the smaller room ok, but then it would be hard to drag pieces with any length in there to cut. With a bandsaw I could just roll it to the center of the main garage, make the cuts, sweep up, and roll it off the side. I don't like the idea of cutting outside becuase of the noise, and cold weather.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-29-2003 17:15
Frankly, if you want a chop saw, then by all means have a chop saw. It won't be any better or worse than a hand held grinder. You should direct the sparks to a safe direction, wear PPE (eyes & ears), and provide ventilation anyway (and maybe a respirator is the ventilation is marginal). The saw will likely be on a stand of some sort, whether it comes with one or if you build it. You could wheel the saw to wherever the sparks, dust and noise won't be a problem and move it out of the way when you don't need it. Probably your garage is the best place for it, you'll have more room for long pieces, and a big door is big ventilation.
Nothing wrong with the other equipment recommendations, but you gotta start somewhere. Might as well keep what you have and plan to add more later.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 10-29-2003 17:52
I did and it works nicely. Never had such an easy square cut through 1/4'" angle. I like the smaller size too.
Parent - - By mkulikow (*) Date 10-31-2003 16:07
The Makita and Dewalt dry cut saws are the best tool you can have in a shop. I use mine to cut aluminum tubing and galvanized pipe for docks. They cut like butter, no sparks when used right and the cut is great. Very similar to a bandsaw only the cut time is mere seconds. Watch the videos on the Dewalt page and you will answer your own questions.

- Mike
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 10-31-2003 20:49
Are they $100?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / how bad is chopsaw?