Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG welding s. steel bearing housings
- - By bobpiet Date 11-01-2003 21:42
I have several sizes of stainless steel bearing housings to which I have welded ss flanges on the o.d. to facilitate mounting. The housings are approx. 1.125" i.d. x 1.875" x 2" deep with a blind hole.

I machined the housings to accept the bearings loose fit; TIG stitch welded the .125" thick x 2" length x 4" wide ss flanges on two sides of the housing o.d. and, naturally, warped the housings, which luckily I was able to rechuck in a four-jaw and re-bore.

Does anyone have any method for welding a flange to a pre-machined cylinder/cup without warping? Or is this never done? Or is this possible by some other fusing technology? - thanks
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-03-2003 17:39
Distortion from heat is a fact of life. Even if you could heat & cool uniformly like in an oven there are no guarantys on how true it will reamain.

Depending on the tolerance of the fit needed you could machine a solid insert (plug) to put in the fitted area to prevent the bore from shrinking but it will not be easy to remove and you will need to keep it relatively cool compared to the work.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 11-04-2003 06:19
I think you've answered your own question here. If you have machinery large enough to chuck the finished weldment then weld first and bore later.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG welding s. steel bearing housings