Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need major assitance with brazing!??
- - By - Date 11-03-2003 23:14
I've gotten the hang of it.
Parent - - By gangel99 (*) Date 11-04-2003 01:08
This web site has lots of videos you can look at on your computer. Don't know anything about their products though.

http://www.muggyweld.com/super1.html

Parent - - By - Date 11-04-2003 01:36
i want to weld mild steel to mild steel though fyi
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 11-04-2003 02:40
Do you want to weld, or do want to braze? They are not the same. Procedures will be very different for each one. Brazing usually relies more on the joint construction to get maximum strength. Once heated correctly, assuming the joint tolerances are right. The properly fluxed alloy should just be sucked right into the joint. You won't find videos, but there is info at www.handyharmancanada.com. Brazing is a cool process in that it can join all sorts of wierd combinations of metals. There is also now a brazing section on this board.
Parent - - By - Date 11-04-2003 03:29
i want to braze mild steel to mild steel.I just don't know the correct procedures?....I wish somebody could list them in order like even maybe some pictures!....

I for example can just do just this so far with a bare rod!

I dip a small part of the heated rod into the flux to obtain some.

Then I heat the base metals like a lap for example to dull cherry red.

Then I don't know what to do from there and how for an example would I go about brazing with a pre-coated rod?....Do the precoated rod have to be heated up.Remember I am new at this process but willing to learn as days go by.

Once the flux is on the rod what do I do?....Does the base metals have to have flux already on them before?....I need someone to explain step to step but I can't find any instructional details on the site you listed for brazing mild steel to mild steel.I know you have to have the metal heated to a cherry red state but what do I do?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 11-04-2003 05:57
http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-237/toc.htm
Here's the army welding manual again. It has a pretty good section on oxy fuel brazing.
Bill
Parent - - By - Date 11-04-2003 16:13
when you have cleaned the material and have applied the flux to it and do you use just a bare rod?...with no flux once the flux is already been applied on the metal pieces to be welded before?....i assume you can just add water to powder flux and make it a paste?....now my questions are how come some people brush the flux on the work pieces that are cleaned and some people melt flux off a rod.I looked at the army site but no luck!

Do you heat the end of the bare rod to obtain some flux already once the work pieces have been brushed with flux already on them?....and when the flux on the material is boiling do i do the dip thing like i was in gas welding?....
Parent - By flatjwl (*) Date 11-05-2003 03:53
There are several different fillers which are refered to as "BRAZING" rods. If you are using and asking about bronze brazing rods, the method I use is to keep flux on the filler rod about as frequently as I am able to find the hole in the can which contains the granulated flux. I use a good sized tip but do not get the tip quite as close to the weld joint area as when actually welding with a steel filler. Once the metal appears to be hot enough I dip the filler directly into the joint between the two pieces being joined and melt off a small bit. If the heat is sufficient the bronze will flow nicely, if not you can play the torch around untill it does begin to flow and then begin adding more filler and continue around/accross the joint. A word of caution here is that OVERHEATED steel will not allow the brazing filler to wet onto it, so use judgement as to when to begin applying filler and do not get the components too hot.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 11-05-2003 05:23
There are really two brazing processes to consider, brazing and braze welding. Braze welding is similar to welding in joint design, but uses a brazing filler metal. It is relatively easy to do if you know how to gas weld. You can pretty much use the pre-coated filler metal or bare filler metal that is dipped in flux while hot similar to the way you would use normal filler metal. The main difference between braze welding and welding is that the base metal is not melted in braze welding. Braze welding can be used to make groove welds or fillet welds just like welding. Brazing uses the same low melting temperature type filler metals that braze welding does, but the joints are designed to use capillary action to draw the filler metal into the joint. Thus joint design and fitup is important. Lap joints are probably the most common, but scarf joints or other designs are possible too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need major assitance with brazing!??