Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Structural Welding
- - By acespowerranger Date 11-04-2003 01:48
Hello,
I've been working a shut-down on a boiler, and have noticed that where the structural steel is bolted together on the flanges, about 24 inches from the end of the flange the weld gets larger. Have my own ideas as to why, just wondered if anyone could help with some of the Technical details...thanks.
Joe
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-06-2003 21:32
From what you say, I deduct that you're talking about wide flange (WF) shapes which are welded, not rolled. I also deduct that they're used as the upper drum's supporting columns, right?
Welded shapes are made to "manufacturer's standards", i.e., it is the manufacturer who determines, or establishes, their dimensions, material, details, etc.
When the structural engineer designs a steel structure using those welded shapes, he does that based on the manufacturer's catalog, which contains all the information needed.
The shapes made by one manufacturer are NOT necessarily the same than those made by another manufacturer.
With all this conversation I want to say that, for some particular reason I don't know (although I wish I knew), the manufacturer of those shapes has welded the flanges the way you explain.
In many years of professional life I've seen and worked with a lot of welded shapes, but the welds were the same all the way along, no one showed a different weld starting 24 inches from the end, as you say.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-06-2003 21:49
Could these weld be at moment connections(bolted moments)? The paddle plates on the top flange may very well have been designed this way. Larger fillets toward the connection. I only guessing as there is not enough information given in the post about the connection in question to determine the why's. If you could supply more info about the design type of the connection, if it is something typical in the building or just near the columns or whether the plates are simply cover plates to make the column worth more. The post just leave the door open and needs more info to help.
John Wright
Parent - By acespowerranger Date 11-07-2003 01:54
It would be a lot easier to explain if I could draw a pic on here. Yes, it is a bolted connection...and it seems to me like the welds are larger at the ends to give support for the torque that the bolts are put upon...I.E. when the boiler fires up, there's quite a bit of vibration ( I know, I've stood on top of it during operation). Obviously, these were made in a manufacturing facility, most likely with automated equipment....my guess is SAW, noting the sheer size of the welds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Structural Welding