Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brazing cont...
- - By - Date 11-04-2003 05:12
What type of flux do you use to coat the top of the working pieces that are going to get ready to braze...powder or paste?....Then is flux on the rod necessary too?...I think I figured it out now....When the cleaned metal is ready you apply the flux on top and then you heat the flux on top of the material until it turns clear and you can see the metal turn blood red and then you touch the rod onto the metal with the clear flux on it and then capillary action should begin.Another question is can you just add water to powdered flux to become a paste and if so how much?....

Thanks In Advance!
Parent - By dee (***) Date 11-10-2003 11:20
Oxyfuel.
I find the world is changing faster than my shop... the materials I'm most comfortable using are getting hard or impossible to get... I had gotten used to "raw" bronze rods that you (powder)flux yourself, but there are some benefits to the flux pre-coated rods (all anybody stocks 'round here) as well... for cooler alloy (silver-solder) I paste flux the parts... in every case the primary issue is cleanliness. I clean before any fitting, cutting, grinding or sanding, and again before fluxing or heating. If your bronze filler is old and/or poorly stored you may have to clean oxide and oils from that also. Your cleaning materials must be clean themselves; you can drag in contamination from sponges rags sandpaper and abrasives which can confound you.

It may be best to consult the filler manufacturer for advice on fluxes for their alloy.

Some time ago, less than a year, there was a link to flux information from I think an outfit in Canada posted around here somewhere.

Good luck
d
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 11-10-2003 11:36
Yes, most paste fluxes for silver alloy brazing are thinnable with water. Just thin it until it will spread onto the work easily. I did some brazed lap joints in 24 guage stainless and thinning the flux made the braze flow much easier and with less oxides forming. Don't be skimpy with the flux, cover the area of the joint and well beyond it, this will help keep the oxides from forming on the heated area. With stuff like stainless you'll get oxides that are unbelieveably tough to remove if it's not fluxed enough. They make acids to clean them off, but I would rather not even have them in my home shop, due to the concentration. Also, make sure you ventilate well with the fluxes. Many of the white paste fluxes contain Potassium bifouride. These release hydroflouric acid when used. The vapors from this stuff are big time nasty.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brazing cont...