Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Titanium making technology
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-06-2003 00:14
Hi everybody!
I just read an article in Scientific American (October 2003) on a new, less expensive, more efficient method of extracting Ti from it's ore!!! What is the significance of this discovery??? Well for starters, Titanium will be cheaper as a result and that means more readily available... This also means that designers and engineers will be more inclined to use this metal and it's alloys for uses other than there traditional or present uses which means that more welders will need to be trained in the proper welding techniques and methods of handling Ti and it's alloys in preparation for welding!!! Now the demand for Ti welders will not increase overnight but, in only a few number (3 to 5) of years the need will increase!!! Many hurdles still exist though so the debate about the best way toto achieve low cost Ti persists. But the big payoffs - such as making a next generation airliner or a less weighty SUV, less weighty military vehicles with greater armour protection, deeper diving submarines, etc. ensures that the quest will continue!!!
I'm going to sleep now..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
P.S. This article is titled "Alchemy of a Supermetal" It's content can be read at this website:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&collD+0009E8E9-8896-1F60-905980A84189EEDF

Parent - By TiG6al-4v (*) Date 11-06-2003 01:49
Then a signifigant change is coming my way. For the better I hope!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-06-2003 13:31
About 10 years ago golf club manufacturing overtook aerospace in overall use of titanium.

What shall they do with the stuff now that its gonna be cheap?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-06-2003 15:53
Hi Lawrence!
Aerospace and golf club manufacturers are'nt the only industrial sectors that use Titanium so as the price drops, these two sectors will be overtaken by alot of other sectors if they have'nt already been overtaken by the offshore Oil and gas industry...
If the price drops to the level where Automakers will become enticed into using Ti for lighter SUV frames then, alot of sectors will be left behind also unless the aerospace industry decides also to make use of the future inexpensive Ti for their next generation Airliners...
Power Generation may also get into the act also - one never knows..

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-06-2003 20:06
DARPA has been helping out with the funding this "new" or shall I say newly re-discovered process that was originally thought of as not possible to extract Ti by using this method!!! Sometimes you have to look at things twice to see if you missed or overlooked an important aspect of what you're working on!!! As you read the article, you'll understand it better so, I'll leave it at that...

Respectfully,

Parent - - By TiG6al-4v (*) Date 11-06-2003 22:42
I know about that. A few years back we were manufacturing prototypes of the new Calloway Big Bertha. My boss got to keep one.
He claims to drive a ball 300+ yrds with it. I don't think that particular model ever made it to full production. A few people I work with had heard about the Ti thing a ways back, so it wasn't big news to them.

We have a strong relationship with TIMET, so we'll be informed about it.
I'll share if I hear of anything else about it.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-07-2003 00:18
Hi TIG6AL-4V!

Could you please elaborate?
Did you get a response from TIMET regarding your Ti questions in the previous posts which you decided to later delete your replies on your original post???

Parent - By TiG6al-4v (*) Date 11-12-2003 00:02
Thats wonderful that they discovered new and cheaper ways to extract the titanium out the ore.
That doesn't mean a whole lot whenever the costs of producing complex weldaments, and other aircraft parts. Extremely tight tolerances are required. The machines we use are impressive. 3 & 4 axis CNC machines and 4 & 5 axis waterjets. A fully equiped chem mill line, and a "hot forming dept."
When you say Ti metals is going to be cheaper to get from say, TIMET, that might be true, but customers are going to want their parts to be made cheaply.
Thats not going to happen because it's definately very difficult to work with, and thats not coming from a welding standpoint. I go to work every day seeing the difficulties of working with the stuff. 95% of our sales is Titanium parts. Try chem milling, thats alot of fun to determine
material removal + - .0010. Not easy to do.
The thing about titanium is that welding it is the easy part. You can't do much with it without the correct tooling. You had better work in a well equipped shop to make even any profit of the reduced cost of Ti that is coming in the future.

The funny thing is I never requested any info from them(TIMET).
I work in a fairly small shop. I'm one of three welders. I have 3 different tig machines all to myself. I just don't troubleshoot weld problems but every fab process available. Blending, getting parts to form correctly, painting, sandblasting, chem cleaning, ect.

The question I asked about the ELI rod I already knew the chemical properties of the alloys. I was just seeing who out there might directly work with it on an everyday basis like production.

Until the costs of production goes down then there's no way that there will be ANY need for new "Ti welders". It's not cost efficient to use it on an everyday to day basis, yet. That might come, but not anytime soon!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Titanium making technology