Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mild steel porosity
- - By firewelder Date 11-10-2003 01:00
While tig welding a tank made of 16ga. mild steel I encountered porosity that was only solved by using 304 wire. I ground the mill scale of the mat'l prior, but it didn't help. The welds were outside corner to corner. I have used stainless filler before to correct this problem. Just wondering if this practice is acceptable. Any suggestions appreciated.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-10-2003 16:47
I have just a few questions.

1) Is this a new or used tank?
2) If used, is it cleaned out thoroughly(ie. solvents, degreasers etc.)
3) Is this the last weld you are making? If it is you might be getting
back pressure from the heated air inside the tank.
Parent - - By firewelder Date 11-10-2003 19:27
bmass1, this is new mat'l. It is a tank for holding liquid in that it is open on the top (bottom with 4 sides). I used a grinder with a sanding disk to remove the millscale. As soon as I would strike the arc the puddle would bubble and spit. Thanks for your time.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-11-2003 12:56
You say you are TIG welding.
Is the sheet metal Galvanized?
What is the filler that gets porosity?
What size cup?
What Gas?
What CFH?

Its a litle hard to understand why you would get porosity with mild steel filler but not SS.

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-11-2003 13:21
Off the top of my head

It almost sounds like your tank is not deoxidized steel.

Non-killed or "rimmed" steel will often jump right onto a gtaw electrode as soon as melting begins. The deoxidizers in the 304 might just be quieting this effect down.

But thats a big jump.

1st check the simple things like gas supply, wind interfearence etc.

I would also consult an engineer or engineering doccuments to see if your selection of 304 is a good one. More often than not, folks welding mild to or with stainless select 309.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-11-2003 13:44
This might be a possibility but it is a stretch. If everything else is ok(gas, cup, wind, etc.) you might be superheating the material on the corner without knowing.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-11-2003 17:41
My moneys on the gas or lack there of.

We had a guy grab a bottle of 2% Oxygen one night and had to wake me up in the middle of the night describing the same problem.
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 11-12-2003 13:35
Hi all,

Sraight of the top of my head, I tend to agree with Lawrence on this one. I had the same problem several years ago and it drove the entire welding shop crazy trying to figure it out! Until it was discovered that we were trying to T.I.G. weld 'rimming' steel.

Check all the other parameters mentioned especialy 'gas flow'. Outside corner joints typically need a raised gas flow to counter deflection of the gas away from the weld area. But, if the weld made with the 304 s/s (308 would be a better choice) is nice and clean etc, I would definately start looking at the grade of mild steel your using!

If it is 'rimming' steel, then your options are limited as regards T.I.G. welding it! It just will not weld successfully using 'normal' mild steel filler wire!

Glenn Webb
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mild steel porosity