Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Does All pos. welder means pipe welder?
- - By George-kh (**) Date 11-10-2003 17:07
If a welder be qualified with plate, he will be qualified to weld on pipes with 2 ⅞ O.D. and over in the related welding position according to ASME IX QW-461.9 – note 2.
Now, if a welder weld on 3 plates in 2G, 3G, and 4G positions, to be an ALL POSITION qualified welder, is he qualified to weld on 5G or 6G pipes with diameter 2 ⅞ O.D. and over?
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-10-2003 17:50
Flat and Horz. only.
The "ALL applys to 24" or greater
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-10-2003 21:14
I think you might be confused. If a welder qualifies for plate, he does not qualify for pipe, except as mentioned, 24 inch and greater. However, a welder qualified for pipe would be qualified to weld plate in same positions. Hope this helps and have a good day!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-10-2003 21:49
P/S: Not you, Ron but the poster, George may be confused.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 11-11-2003 00:06
I have to throw my hat into Ron's ring this time. If a welder qualifies with plate in 2G, 3G, and 4G positions they are qualified for pipe greater than 24" OD in all posisions, flat and horizontal for pipe between 2 7/8" OD and 24" OD, and not at all for pipe less than 2 7/8" OD.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-11-2003 00:22
No. The only positions allowed would be flat and horizontal by my chart. Which would indicate a 2G and 5g Rolled out.

Have a nice day

G Austin.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-11-2003 11:58
I don't have any ASME codes to look at,
This may be comparing apples(ASME Section IX) and oranges(D1.1), but in D1.1:2002 Table 4.1 if the weldor qualified in 2G,3G and 4G plate tests the weldor can weld pipe CJP, PJP, and fillets in F,H,V,& OH but is restricted to 24" or greater in nominal outer diameter(note #2) or has to weld along a line parallel to the axis of circular pipe(note #1).

If the weldors test on pipe then there are loads of other things to consider, wall thickness, diameter, etc....

John Wright

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-12-2003 15:18
Apples and Oranges it Is!!!
Still, it makes decent juice...
Parent - - By tab_1999 (**) Date 12-24-2003 02:39
I have to agree with John,,
I'm looking at the AWS D1.1 Table 4.8 which states if a welder is tested "and passes" in the 3g & 4G positions that welder is qualified in all positions on plate and see note 4.

Note 4 : Only Qualified for pipe over 24" diameter with backing, backgouging or both.

My CWI was to this particular code and I had never heard of the 2 7/8 od rolled or anything else below 24", but I've been wrong before.

I dont have a Sect IX here at home but I also dont remember anysuch quotes pertaining to plate tests permitting welding on piping. I would however like to know where that can be found.
Make sure when looking at ASME, your looking in the welder qualification section and not the procedure qualification section.
Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-24-2003 16:08
Here is the table I speak of. http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/qw461p9.htm

Hope this helps.

Other things section IX allowed for Non Impact required WPS's (This does not include restrictions placed on WPS/PQR's by specific codes of construction.

1) Flat Plate GTAW/SMAW PQR welded both sides qualifies WPS Pipe, welded one side open root.

Another WPQ mkisunderstood item
1)SS to SS GTAW Performance qualification by using CS coupons and wire.

There are more but I am tired

Gerald

Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 12-25-2003 01:08
To George & Gerald,
Your both right, I forgot about the section of < or = to 24" pipe stating you could weld Flat or Horizontal on pipe 2 7/8 and greater. Thanks for reminding me.
p.s. Even if you qualified for all position, note 2 still applies. F,H, only "Flat & Horizontal which are typically considered flat" because the only way to comply with flat pipe is to roll it.

Thanks for the table Gerald.
Tom
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Does All pos. welder means pipe welder?