Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification
- - By firstpass (**) Date 11-10-2003 20:47
How can a school offer certification if it is not a certified lab. I beleive that it can be done just do not know all the procedures involved. Would like some suggestions
Parent - By chall (***) Date 11-10-2003 21:06
There is a nationally recognized program that we use for several crafts. In January our first welder training class will begin. The beauty is the student gets training that is recognized no matter where they go. They still have to pass certification tests, but the training is pretty good. The price of the program is not low, so you really need to think about it. We kicked the idea around for several years before deciding to give it a go in welding.

http://careers.nccer.org/index2.asp

Charles Hall

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-10-2003 21:10
It depends on what the requirements might be from the governing standard for certification. One example might be AWS D1.1 which is so simple as to state (paraphrased) that anyone competent to perform the inspections might do it. None of the codes I am familiar with require "certified" people to certify the welder(s)....just a competent person. Also, if a non-certified lab certifies a welder or even if a certified lab does the certification, most employers will require an in-house welding test. The school offering the *certification* simply adds some value to the prospective employer to base their judgement on whether or not to offer a test and/or position (if they chose to accept the schools' cert's). Have I got you confused yet????
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-11-2003 13:50
Its up to the employerwhether or not they want to accept the certs. most places I've seen give you a test anyway no matter what you can do. But having one beforehand doesn't hurt either.

Brian Maas
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-11-2003 14:14
Brian,
When an employer sees that you are carrying papers from previous employment, it may give the employer a little more confidence in giving you a try. You have more confidence testing someone knowing they already have a resume'. I also test each and every new hire, papers or no papers.
My opinion only,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification