Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 vs. D1.5 Welder Qualifications
- - By rko101 Date 11-12-2003 16:22
As a building engineer, I'm not familiar with AWS D1.5. Are AWS D1.5 welder qualifications acceptable for AWS D1.1 qualifications? Or do the welders need to perform separate welding tests in accordance with AWS D1.1?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-12-2003 17:20
D1.5 uses the same test plates, limitations, and acceptance criteria as D1.1 uses.
D1.5 goes a bit further and requires performance tests to be witnessed by the administrator, cleaning must be done in the same position as the welding, and the root and fill passes may not be modified (grinding, etc) between passes, while D1.1 doesn't specifically require those conditions.

However, D1.5 doesn't provide for pipe or square tube qualification while D1.1 does.

So I would have no problem with D1.5 qualifications for D1.1 plate and most structural welds within essential variables. But I would not automatically accept D1.5 if you need to weld pipes or such.

Hope that helps you out,
Chet Guilford
Parent - By rko101 Date 11-12-2003 17:40
Thanks. That's very helpful.
Parent - - By - Date 11-13-2003 02:46
You should look at paragraph 4.1.2.1 of D1.1. It states that "the acceptability of performance qualification to other standards is the Engineer's responsibility, to be exercised based upon the specific structure, or service conditions, or both."
Mankenberg
Parent - By rko101 Date 11-13-2003 15:43
Thanks, I did find that section. As an Engineer, I wouldn't have a problem accepting or rejecting welder qualificiations from other standards than what is specified in the contract documents especially since the welding needs to be inspected and approved by a CWI. However, I believe that the Contractor should have the responsibility in stating that their welders' qualifications, if different than what is specified in the contract documents, either meet or exceed those specified standards especially since the contractor's QA/QC personnel are trained and qualified with AWS qualifications while most Engineers are not.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 vs. D1.5 Welder Qualifications