Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Compensation Packages
- - By - Date 08-30-2000 01:51
Could anyone give me an idea on the minimum compensation a CWI can recieve. I've been in the welding industry for over 15 years and a CWI for about 8 months. I would like to further my career as an Certified Welding Inspector, but the dilema is that I make a reasonable wage now and want to make a modest career change for the better and make more than what I'm currently making. Am I going in the right track? I'm also trying to recieve further education in ET, UT, PT, VT, RT and NDT. Also Does this CWI mean that I'm a level I or II Inspector? What type of Inspection work can I perform?
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 08-31-2000 13:23
I can't answer your first question but I will try to answer your last question. Being a CWI does not mean you are certified to any level of certification for nondestructive testing. You need to review the requirements of SNT-TC-1A, you can find an excellent overview on the ASNT website, http://www.asnt.org/certification/guide.htm. As a CWI your inspections will be limited to whatever welding code is applicable. This basically means that you may perform visual inspections. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Parent - By Tejas_Insp Date 12-25-2001 07:35
Yes, as long as you're not required to be qualified to ASNT Level II.

Like the previous writer said it doesn't qualify you for anything, and with the market flooded with them, it would be a bad move to leave production right now.

If you go into ndt you still be a mule. Go to college and forget this trade. If you only have 15 years in it then it's still not too late to get into something worth while.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Compensation Packages