Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto Body Question
- - By DaveP (*) Date 11-12-2003 18:09
I have a dented rear 1/4 panel on the box of my Ford Ranger. (some guy wasn't driving right...long story...I had the right of way)

I know nothing about body work.

Can I buy a 1/4 panel and weld it in? Who sells them?

Looking for the lowest cost fix. Doesn't have to look great.

Have a mm175. Used to weld on construction eq. Built a trailer recently. Now just do hobby stuff.

Is this what a body shop would do? Is this out of my league?

Thanks,
Dave P.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-12-2003 19:22
Hi Dave,
You can drill out the spot welds and tack on another outer bedside skin.
You can buy just the bedside skin. You may even find a truck in the junk yard(oops, auto recycle yard) that you can get reasonable if they let you take it off yourself.
Good Luck,
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-12-2003 19:25
Forgot to remind you to keep as much heat out of it as you can or it will warp something terrible. Stagger your spot welds around and let them completely cool before going too far. Wet rags on the backside (where you can get them) helps some.
John Wright
Parent - - By vb (*) Date 11-12-2003 23:15
Hi Dave,

I know working with an autobody dealership, the quickest and cheapest method to fixing dents was not by welding.

Instead they drilled a 1/4 - 1/2" dia hole in the centre of the dent, and took a 90 degree bent rod (I think it was of stainless steel about 1/8" in diameter and 4" long), and inserted it sideways into the drilled hole, thus the bar was inbehind the panel, and there was the rest of the bar sticking straight out of the hole.

They just pulled at the bar, and the dent came out. Sometimes there was some paint chips, and this wouldn't be effective if you require more than the outer panel, but is very effective if you have a "clean dent" that doesn't have any body contours or bends that are effected. After that was done, they filled in the hole with bondo, and then touched it up with paint.

Thats the cheapest method I can think of!
Good luck!
Parent - By robism (*) Date 11-13-2003 00:27
u could also grind the part to bare metal and use a stud welder and take the dent out that way if u have a friend that might have one, like that u dont get any holes in the panel. If u have access to the backside take a hammer and dollie to it.
Parent - By TiG6al-4v (*) Date 11-13-2003 03:16
You'll have to use a "slide hammer". Either drill a hole in your dent and nut in in the back to pull out the dent, or weld your slide hammer directly to the metal and yank it out, and grind your welded areas later.

As everyone would agree, use as less heat as possible. If your a novice at welding and you insist on applying heat then you should use an oxy-acetylene welder with a small tip to reduce stress. Stick and mig are to messy for this kind of application.

The larger the dent the more holes\welds you'll need to make.
vb, you have the right idea!
Parent - - By DaveP (*) Date 11-13-2003 19:03
Thanks for the info. The area behind the wheel is one large dent with a nasty crease at the top. Smaller dents ahead of wheel. I guess Ill try some dent pulling and if its not sucessful look into getting a whole skin.

Dave P.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-13-2003 19:17
Yep, that's the route I'd take too.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto Body Question