Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fillet or groove?????
- - By welder16 Date 11-12-2003 21:55
hi, latly in my welding class, i have missed a question taht asks is a full open outside corner joint, a fillet or groove, i picked fillet, because i ahve all ways heard that a groove weld is metal that has some kind of preperation, so why would that weld be groove and not fillet??????
Parent - - By vb (*) Date 11-12-2003 22:32
Hi,

The wording to the question I find confusing. "Full open outside.."??

You can have both fillet and groove welds for a corner joint, but the fillet weld would have to be on the inside of the corner joint.

The reason why I'd assume the correct answer is groove weld, is they want to know what type of weld is possible on the outside of the corner joint.

Just a thought,
vicki

Parent - - By welder16 Date 11-12-2003 23:36
well wht i mean is a open corner joint, if that helps
Parent - By vb (*) Date 11-13-2003 00:08
Hi,

Dont mind me, as I am a girl of theory only.. and I still do not know what "open corner joint" is. I am taking the welding inspectors course, and in one of the modules, it speculates the standards set for fillet welds:

If you mean open, as in the two beams do not have any contact with one another, there is a standard set to use a fillet weld as long as the gap is a maximum of 3/16" (for a 3" thick plate), and 5/16" gap for larger than 3" thick plates. - in AWS 1.1. I dont know where this type of weld joint would be used, as having a gap between the plates would result in all the bending stress placed on the weld?.?

If it is larger than the 3/16" (or 5/16" for larger plates), a square groove weld would work. The largest gap you can have for this weld is 3/8" for GMAW, and 1/4" for SMAW or FCAW, as per D1.1 and W59.

Hope I'm not way off track!?!
vicki
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-13-2003 11:25
With the info you have given I would have to say that Vicky is right. You can have both a fillet and a groove weld applicable on an outside corner joint. There are many types of welds that it could be, Fillet, bevel-groove, flare-bevel-groove, flare-V-groove, J-groove, Square groove, U-groove, V-groove, plug, slot, spot, seam, projection, and braze. If you have a copy of AWS A3.0-94 terms and definitions look at page 41 Figure 1(B). These are all of the applicable welds given for this type joint. In reality, I think they might mean a square groove weld on the outside corner with no plate prep. The fillet would be placed on the inside corner. Fillet Weld = A weld of approximately triangular cross section joining two surfaces approximately at right angles to each other in a lap joint, T-joint, or corner joint. Groove Weld = A weld made in a groove between the workpieces. - definitions per AWS A3.0-94.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fillet or groove?????