Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless gases
- - By jer (**) Date 11-13-2003 23:06
I have always used a Paxair mix of argon, helium & CO2 called A1025, yet friends have also said that I can use their Stargon gas which is a mix of argon, CO2 & Oxy. Iv'e also heard that in a single pass fitup nothing is really lost in using this gas.This Stargon burns in really nice compared to the A1025 and I am wondering what is lost or compromised by using the Stargon if anything.
Parent - - By vb (*) Date 11-13-2003 23:25
Hi,

Paxair "90% He - 7.5% Ar - 2.5% CO2". The helium is much lighter than air, thus requiring a higher gas flow rate in order to keep the weld pool from being contaminated. This mixture theoretically could be used on other metals, although most common used with stainless steel.

Stargon "96.25% Ar - 2.75% CO2 - 1% Hyd" may be used only for authentic stainless steels, since the hydrogen will cause imbrittlement and cracking in ferritic and martensitic materials. The hydrogen is a reducing agent, taking away the oxides, leaving a cleaner weld.

Hope this helped you out!
Vicki
Parent - - By jer (**) Date 11-14-2003 02:47
Thank you for your reply Vicki, but I was looking at a sheet from praxair welding supply which stated Stargon was argon, CO2 & Oxy.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 11-14-2003 19:59
Stargon is a mixture of 90 Ar/8 CO2/ 2 O2. Designed as a gas for mild steel and for heavier stainless. ( for those of you who remember liquid carbonic, the blend was called Metal Match Stain+ ) The A-1025 is a blend for short arc welding of stainless steels. (mostly gauge material)
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 11-15-2003 21:28
The 90/7.5/2.5 gas is for short-arc,unless you have a machine that can force a spray out of it.(powermig 300 comes to mind)It is one of the things that gets lost about the powermig,everybody thinks aluminum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless gases