Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 3 Phase to 1 Phase Power Input???
- - By lowheat Date 11-14-2003 14:01
Greetings,
I am a fairly new to welding. I am looking for a Mig machine, and I am finding the 3 phase machines cheaper than the 1 phase machines. I have had two different opinions given to me about running a 3 phase welder on a 1 phase "converter" or "inverter". Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-14-2003 15:19
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=3975

Try this link, there was some discussion before regarding phase converters. Brande may be able to help with the fabrication tips for building one. If you simply want to buy one, roto-phase makes a dependable one. My father-in-law runs his entire machine shop off of a phase converter. Lathes ,end mills, air compressor, drill press, and a host of other equipment runs with no problems.
John Wright
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 11-14-2003 16:01
I had this same question awhile back and got mixed results for answers. Might want to run a search and see if you can find that post. I found a 3 phase welder that I wanted to run off a converter but had several people tell me that you cant do it because you need true 3 phase power since it will mess up your arc. I also have a 3 phase plasma cutter that I would like to run as well. I even called miller and they told me that you cant run a 3 phase welder from a converted source....but I've heard of people doing it but have never seen it. If you find out that you can I would sure like to know how to do it.

kam
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-14-2003 16:26
Kam may have a point about running a welder off of one, I wasn't thinking about the arc characteristics being effected.
Good Luck,
John Wright
Parent - By brande (***) Date 11-15-2003 08:50
For the most part, a three phase machine can run well off a phase converter. Transformer welding machines are not as sensitive as many different CNC equipment to voltage differentiations when using a phase converter. Inverters may be a problem, but with their superior line conditioning, I'm sure they will run fine as well.

Keep in mind, too, that a rotary type phase converter is the only one that will handle transformer type loads.

Static type converters often use a capacitor network to induce a phase shift for starting motor type loads. After starting, statics make the motor run in a "single phasing" mode, ie, only two of the three hot wires are providing power to the motor. This is why we are very careful about motor horsepower and derate many motors hooked up on a static phase converter.

Rotary converters are easily built from common parts. You can go to Rotophase or similar companies, but the cost from them is somewhat high.

Simple converters can be fabricated easily. Email direct for more details.There are many plans available from the internet as well.

BTW-the power from a rotary converter is, indeed, true three phase power, from what I can see.

Hope this helps some...

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 3 Phase to 1 Phase Power Input???