Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what's wrong?
- - By swank (*) Date 11-16-2003 07:31
worked on my first alu project tonight. a bunch of t-joints using 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x .125 tube. i've got an old linde 250 machine. using 3/32 pure tungsten. finding that i need a lot of power to get the puddle started. at these high amps, the tungsten looks like an alien with it's head cut off. the ball looks like it's about to jump off. is it my welder? i remember somebody making a comment about esab welders and "tungsten spitting". is this what they were talking about? or do i just need a larger electrode?
Parent - By flatjwl (*) Date 11-16-2003 12:23
It is normal for the amperage requirement to be high initially. This is as you say, "to get the puddle started". However we have to qualify our perspectives here. High for me would mean starting at around 150 with a 3/32 pure tung, and lifting(footpedal) after tacking and getting some heat into the work pieces. One of the things which can make the amperage requirement extraordinary is material which is not clean. It cannot be overstated, the importance of getting below the oxide layer, when preparing the joint. If the joint is well clamped you can sometimes play the torch back and forth along the joint to preheat before beginning the actual puddle formation, or with heavy material you can preheat with another source. However, .125 wall should become involved in the puddle really quickly.
Parent - By bwelder Date 11-17-2003 17:07
Some things to check.
1. Is your machine AC with high frequency start?
2. Are you balling the electrode tip before starting?
3. Have you properly cleaned the area?
4. Is your filler material compatible with your base metal?

All of these things can cause you major difficulties especially the AC high frequency.
Parent - - By swank (*) Date 11-17-2003 18:09
yes to all the questions except cleaning. i will start doing that a little better. it is also happening while i'm running a bead though, not just starting. kinda like everthing goes okay for a couple seconds and then the tungsten freaks out for a couple seconds. back and forth like that. who knows. i will clean more and see what happens. thanks guys.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-17-2003 18:26
Pure Tungsten electrodes do tend to get "wobbly" when over-heated.

If your making a hat rack than pure tungsten electrodes are ok. But of all electrodes, pure has the lowest melting temp. and the worst arc emmitting qualities.

Here are a couple of hints that will help.

Try one size larger electrode.

If the balled end of your pure tungsten becomes more than 1.5 times the diameter in width than stop and fix it. A large ball just eats more amperage and reduces the transferred arc energy.

Zirconium electrodes work well for aluminum, cerium are also excellent. (these electrodes you prep the tip with a blunted point rather than a balled end)

When possible use a full length of tungsten. It will absorb more heat and won't melt as soon as a partial length of electrode.

Water cooled torch will make the biggest difference.

Balence control, If your machine has a dial that indicates balence control or (max cleaning/max penetration) try adjusting this control more toward the max penetration side. (If your etching disappears completely around the toe of the weld or you observe a grey scum on top of your puddle than you have gone too far towards max pen.)

Keep your torch as perpendicular as possible to the work, this will concentrate your arc energy in a small spot. If your electrode is at an angle (leading or trailing) it will make an oblong weld puddle that takes more amperage to melt. When your electrode starts to wobble, back off on your foot pedal and it will solidify again, soon you should have enough heat to proceed.

If you put some or all of these trade tricks together you will surely get a performance improvement.

Keep in mind this is not the best way to weld aluminum. It likes to be welded hot and fast. But if your not doing code work (hat racks) than these tips may fix a thing that might otherwise become scrap.
Parent - By swank (*) Date 11-18-2003 06:49
i will try the larger and different type electrodes. i don't have balance, but i do have a watercooled torch, and i did find that holding the torch perpendicular was a help. HF is on continous. thanks for the advice, it has been exellent. i am very glad that this exsists.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 11-17-2003 20:38
Does that machine have "start" and "continuous"for the hi freq. The on and off describes how AC gtaw acts when the machine is on start in stead of continuous. That's how my old 330 abp acted when I forgot to set it correctly- Ted
Parent - By swank (*) Date 11-19-2003 06:09
well, now i know what the person was talking about with "tungsten spitting". when the ball literaly shoots off the tip into the puddle. sure does suck when that happens. anything that can be done?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what's wrong?