Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need some advice on a plasma cutter
- - By redjeep691 Date 11-19-2003 05:21
I am looking to buy a new plasma cutter and have kinda narrowed my search down to two models, the Hypertherm Powermax 600 and the Miller Spectrum 625. Im kind of leaning on the hypertherm at the moment since it has been recommended by a few local friends but I have always owned miller welders and have had good luck with them. I kind of poked around the miller forum and have not heard anything bad about them although they use a hypertherm gun and gun is rather pricey if broken.(but I understand it was the miller forum) Anyone own eather of these 2 units or have any advice? When I buy a new tool I just like to get the best I can afford and with not knowing a lot about plasma cutters I don’t want to make a bad choice.

Thanks, Ross
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 11-19-2003 05:30
I own two hypertherm units, I have found their customer support second to none.
If you need answers or supplies, hypertherm is right on top of the stack.
(no, I don't get paid to blow thier horn)
Purchase with confidance, you won't be disappointed.
Parent - By peter vacco (*) Date 11-24-2003 00:33
whatever you get, also buy an absorbtion type of water filter if you are running air to the torch. there is an incestuous relationship between plama-water-money. those toilet paper roll filters are the bitchenest thing to come along to reduced your consumables costs.
all machines running air come with inadaquate filtration. so blow the meager bucks at the start and do it right. cheers.
peter v.
Parent - By swank (*) Date 11-24-2003 08:22
i've got the powermax 600 and LUV it. i've had it over a year and have not had a single problem. granted, i don't use it all day, everyday, but she hasn't failed me yet. it's one of the only tools in my shop that i decided to fork out the $$$$ for new and am not disapointed.
Parent - By redjeep691 Date 11-24-2003 21:54
Thanks to everyone that responded. I ended up getting the Hypertherm Powermax 600 and a motorguard M-26 filter online from Harris welding in Ohio. they seemed to have the best price new in box. (hypertherm 600 Part #086031 for 1435.00 and the m-26 filter for 80.00 and 35.00 for shipping) i think it was an ok price since the local welding shop wanted $1690+tax just for the 600 but im sure someone will find it cheeper. Once again thanks to all and I willl let you know how I like it when it comes in.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need some advice on a plasma cutter