Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "hands on exam"
- - By maclaskey Date 11-19-2003 17:00
What is the best way to prepare for the hands on exam? Study material, tools and so on.
Parent - - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 11-21-2003 01:42
I'll assume you mean for the CWI exam. I know the Society's courses and their costs have been lambasted a bit on these boards....but I think it is the best way to prepare.

If the class isn't in your plans then take a close look at the CWI toolkit and make sure you can use each and every one of those tools well. Read the Inspection Handbook. I may have the title a little wrong. Writing from home not the office.

Make sure you understand how to use an acceptance criteria and not your own internal standards.

Best of luck to you.

Neal
Parent - By maclaskey Date 11-21-2003 06:42
Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-21-2003 11:28
Another thought to add to Neal's. They will give you a made up bogus code for you to inspect by. Just be sure you can read and understand what a code (any code) says and be able to inspect by it and not use your own judgement. You will look at those weld samples that they give you and you will say there is no way I would let that go out the door looking like that, but wait, look at the code they supply you with and then determine if it is acceptable or rejectable by their bogus code. I had samples I thought were awful, yet they met the criteria for acceptance by that bogus code. The tools I had in the kit they supplied were less than quality items, make sure you zero the mics and other test instruments before you start inspecting. I hear that they are replacing some of these cheaper made items with some of better quality. Be sure and read "all the footnotes that apply" to these bogus codes. One little footnote will change the whole outlook on the piece you are inspecting and swing your vote from rejectable to acceptable or visa versa.
Good Luck,
John Wright
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-21-2003 14:51
One of the biggest advantages of the practical examination is the fact that you receive Part B, Book of Specifications ahead of time. It is used open book. As John said, read it, (including the footnotes) and learn how to navigate through it. Be careful not to assume anything. You should be able to locate all the answers in the book. I don’t know if I would call it bogus, I mean it’s not misleading or fraudulent, it’s just not a working set of specifications and not as complete as a code. You are being tested on your ability to interpret and apply information.

I agree that the quality of the tools is below average, but they are still adequate. I recall using only the caliper, scale, fillet gages and the magnifying glass. Measure the surface porosity in 1/64” (using the magnifying glass).

Be familiar with mechanical testing and NDT methods and applications. I had several photographs on my examination. The photographs of the radiographs were terrible.

Good luck on your examination…..

PS There are many older posts in this section on the examination as well as the seminar. Check them out.

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-21-2003 15:15
Thirdeye,
I like your description of the code supplied for the practical exam better than mine. I just used a poor choice of words.
John Wright
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 11-21-2003 20:01
I advise you to take the time and spend the money to take the class. If you fail the 1st time....guess what? You gotta take it again; all of it. The class ( seminar) is educational and well taught. It is designed to make you think. It is designed to prepare you for a major leap in your professional credentials. Trust me it's worth every penny, and each second of your time.
Regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By maclaskey Date 11-23-2003 17:12
Thanks for the help and info.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 12-30-2003 03:17
You might want to check out the Hobart site, they offer training for the exam and administer it on the last day of the course.
Located in Troy Ohio. I cant remember the web address "shame on me"
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "hands on exam"