Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / i got a welder y'all
- - By gonefishin Date 11-25-2003 00:26
somebody a while ago was curious as to what welder i chose to buy for basic farm repair and such, anyhow, i got a harris oxy/acetylene torch. I've been practicing for a few weeks now on various welds, and i am starting to get the hang of it. Some people actually were impressed i could learn gas welding by reading and trying by myself.

anyhow, i was trying to weld some large pieces of 1/8" steel plate at a 90 degree corner, but i am having trouble. I tried several spot welds, but the angle still wants to change by the time i am done from the steel contracting i guess. What should i do?
Parent - - By OSUtigger (**) Date 11-25-2003 01:51
Some clamping will help. You may have already tried this, but you can also tack the backside of the weld if possible. This gives something the weld has to pull against in order to deform instead of just bending a tack that is in the same plane as the weld you are making. If these are just practice welds, don't worry too much about it-When you actually try to weld something up, usually you will be able to tack weld in several areas in a three dimensional manner so that it doesn't deform.

Hope that helps.
G. L.
Parent - By - Date 11-25-2003 02:45
hahahahaha,thank god i also stick weld,bah hahahaha...two words i got for you with farm repair with a torch is good luck,bah hahaha
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 11-25-2003 06:09
As you get a feel for this you can start the parts out at say 85 degrees and then let the distortion pull them into position. Peening the weld as it cools is sometimes helpful.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / i got a welder y'all