Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cheaters or a magnifying filter
- - By gangel99 (*) Date 11-26-2003 01:29
I am nearsighted and have trouble seeing the puddle with my trifocals (actually graduated lenses). My first thought was to get a pair of cheaters at the drug store but then I realized I would always be changing glasses between welds. I read that you can get a clear magnifying 'filter' for welding helmets and that seems a better option.

So my questions. 1) Is a magnifying filter better than cheaters? 2)What magnification do you recommend 1.25X, 1.5X, 2X? 3)Where can you buy magnifying filters.

Thanks in advance!
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 11-26-2003 05:37
Magnifying lenses shorten the focusing distance at which you can see clearly. Therefore, they probably would not be suitable for stick welding where you wouldn't want to get your helmet (and face) close to the weld bead. The magnifying lenses can be useful for tig welding, however, since you can put your helmeted face close to the weld bead. I use plastic magnifying lenses that fit inside of my Accu-Strike helmet. I don't remember the diopter that I ordered but they work well for me when I'm tig welding.

Cherokee Industries, the manufacturer of the Accu-Strike helmet, has magnifying lenses available. They're shown on their order page. You should be aware that the higher the magnification, though, the shorter the effective focusing distance will be. Their url is:

http://www.accustrike.com/orderform.htm
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 11-26-2003 07:53
I use a magnifier in my helmet. I'm old enough that my near vision isn't so good any more. It just corrects so that I can see in focus at about the same distance as when I was young and my near vision was still good. I believe you will want negative diopters to correct nearsightedness. Your welding supply has them. If you want to wear your glasses when welding then a small positive might move the good focus nearer to the center of your lenses. You could experiment with the "cheaters" in the drugstore, then just ask for the same diopter from the welding supply. Your optometrist would, of course, be the best authority on this.
Bill
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-26-2003 17:33
If you are welding mostly as a hobby, the cheater lenses are probably the cheapest option. I can't say which magnification is best because I haven't tried it yet.

If you weld professionally, you might want to talk to your optometrist. He/she can have lenses ground to will widen the middle portion of trifocal lenses. One person in our shop did that, and finds it works well for him. He still has the lower portion for close reading, the middle 'arms length' segment is wider so he can see to weld better, and the top segment is a bit narrower but enough for distance vision.

I don't know if progressive lenses would work for you. I can say I don't like mine much. They are new for me and hard for me to get used to. They have worked OK for the little welding I do these days, but my vision is borderline as far as needing extra magnification so I could do without them for the time being.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By insp76 (**) Date 11-26-2003 18:17
The problem with using cheater lenses in your hood is the fact that when you raise your hood you don`t have the lense for your sight to check your weld properly. In almost 30 years of welding I have never used a cheater in my hood for this reason, checking your weld is just as important as making the weld. From in my late thirties till now I use 2 different pairs of reading glasses to weld with 1.25 for stick rod and 2.0 for tig and close work, the whole world might look blurry beyond the range of the weld area but who cares the weld area is all I`m worried about anyway. For regular non welding work I have a pair of tri focals. Use what ever suits you best but it sure is easier to change glasses than it is to change cheaters in your hood .
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-26-2003 20:14
I explained all that to my optometrist and he adjusted the focus area on my Trifocals so I did not have to tilt my head back so far to weld. It worked great.
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 11-26-2003 20:58
With bifocals and trifocals the near vision correction lenses are located at the bottom half of your eyeglasses. This location is fine for reading since most printed material is at eye level or just below your eye level. If you need to tilt your head up slightly to center the near vision lenses over the printed matter, you only have to tilt your head up slightly. In welding, however, since the welding bead is usually farther away from you, you have to tilt your head upwards a lot to center the near vision lenses on the bead. This is not only uncomfortable and can cause neck strain (including nerve root compression in your neck) but also may expose the lower, front part of your neck to the arc's radiation. Another option available is to have your optometrist make industrial bifocals for you. These have the near vision correction lenses in the upper half of the eyeglass lens. With this kind of eyeglasses you need only tilt your head down slightly to comfortably bring the bead into focus when welding.
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 11-27-2003 06:55
I am paying for my youthful indiscretions....

When I was a young Sh.t in this industry, I often made light of the older guys on the crew who "could not see".

To all of them-I now sincerely apologize.

Anyway, I am 46, but found at 45, I could not "follow the line" anymore.

Blamed the machine, torch, and even the dog barking next door....

I have been nearsighted for most of my life, but the close stuff was always easy.

Since I seem to have a three zone sight, the popular lazer sight surgery is not as attractive as it might be.

Most of what I do was, and is, close tolerance tig welding.
For the most part, a 1.75 cheater in the hood works for most tig situations.
I've found that hasving a number of reading glasses available helps. I can tailor the situation.Especially when I have to stick or mig weld.

Each process seems to have an optimum distance from the welding hood. Having a few different magnification glasses helps.

Guess I am just getting old....Take me out to the field and shoot me, I guess!!

On a related subject-I hear an advertisement for the "Clear Eyes Method" on the radio. Seems to be an exercise program for the eyes, but I could be wrong.
Anyone have any experience with this???Does it work?

As always, any and all help from you distinguished guys is definitely appreciated

Good Luck
brande
Parent - - By LarryL (**) Date 11-27-2003 16:33
Brande, the "See Clearly" method that is currently being advertised is a revival of a method that is several decades old. I remember reading about eye exercises for vision correction approximately 50 years ago. Then the advertising and hoopla about it died down because the method apparently didn't work. Now it appears that four optometrists have revived it or a version of it. The exercises cost $280 to $312 and carry a money back guarantee if a refund is requested within 30 days. The instructions, however, advise that it may require an extended length of time for a noticeable improvement in ones vision. You pay your money and take your chances! Personally, I would rather put the money on lotteries - which I don't play anyway.

The url for an opinion about the Clear Eyes method is at:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/buysmart/see_clearly.htm

Oh, by the way, you may be able to find the original eye exercises in an old, out-of-print book in your public library. That way you can save your $280 and spend it on welding equipment.

Larry Loo, M.D.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 11-28-2003 03:14
Larry-
Thanks for your reply.
I figured that there was some catch to it.
I'll check out more on the website you quoted.

Good Luck
brande
Parent - - By gangel99 (*) Date 11-27-2003 18:18
Thanks for all of your replies. I m going to experiment with some cheap reading glasses - and also talk to my optometrist.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-28-2003 14:50
One more thing to consider

Cheap reading glasses (we call em Dr. Deans) are not safety glasses and by no means belong under a welding hood. The idea of multiple pairs of glasses with a selection in magnification is tempting but if they are not safety glasses you risk loosing the whole kitten kaboodle. Always look for the Z87.1 designation.

Many employers provide a new pair of perscription safety glasses anually. If you take great care of them you can get a different magnification annually. This takes more time but is safer in the long run,
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cheaters or a magnifying filter