Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Mode of transfer
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-30-2003 06:44
What is the correct or proper mode of transfer for FCAW, gas shielded(E71T-1 wire)Globular or spray?
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 11-30-2003 07:51
Spray- you need at least 22.5 volts to get in spray mode with .045, C-25. It will burn off when used at less than 22.5 but it's not proper. Need any more info let me know I've got TO much experience with this wire mostly on pipe to API1104 and B31.1. Ted
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 11-30-2003 10:24
Hi bmaas

When it comes to FCAW, the mode of transfer is not really so well defined as is the case for GMAW. Each wire is designed by the manufacturer to be used with a particular gas, within a particular voltage and current ranges. If you stick to this, you generally do not have to worry too much about the mode of transfer.

The big difference here between GMAW and FCAW, is that the flux can aid in holding a weld puddle in place etc. The problem of making the "out-of-position" weld then really becomes that of the manufacturer rather than the welder.

The SFA5.20 specification states that this wire typically produces a spray transfer, but as stated earlier, this is not a requirement of the wire, only a "typical" situation.

My advice is to stick relatively closely to the parameters given by the manufacturer, and not to worry too much about the mode of transfer, because theoretically this can vary between different manufacturer's wires, even if they have the same electrode designations.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Mode of transfer