Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeline jobs
- - By Mr.Mck Date 12-01-2003 01:24
Hello everyone, I've been attending welding school for the past year and Im ready to graduate soon. I've been exploring my career options and I'd like to get into welding pipeline up north. Training seems scarce and Im not sure how to get my foot in the door. Any help would be appreciated, thanx.
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 12-14-2003 03:04
I've been trying to get into the pipeline industry here in Alaska for the past 2-3 yrs. The options up here are very limited in that there is no big manufacturing industry. If you don't know somebody on the inside it's very hard to get hired onto a contractor/subcontractor's crew. and even if you do get hired on, chances are it's only a temporary job that will last 2-3 months or until the contractor's project is complete.

They've been talking about building a natural gas pipeline that goes from Prudhoe Bay all the way to the Lower 48. when that'll happen I can't say. It could be years from now. But, when they do go through with it, that would be the time to come up here to make the money. but until then, there's really nothing going on up here except regular pipeline/refinery maintenance.

Personally, i'm tired of the economics and politics here in Alaska. True, the wilderness is great! But what do you say when a fellow employee who had lived in Phoenix for 5 yrs says that he's seen more crime here in Anchorage in 3 months than he saw where he came from? Time for me to find a new home.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-14-2003 03:42
What is up north? In pipeline welding you go where the work is and usually for 6 weeks or so at a time. Pipelines are built in relatively short periods of time.
The traditional way to become a pipeline welder is to start as a welders helper, learn the trade, then build a rig and find someone willing to test you for a job.
You can expect to work all over the country.
If you are serious about learning the trade, you can start by contacting the Pipeliners Union Local #798, Tulsa, OK.

JTMcC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeline jobs