Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bevel groove weld call-out
- - By ADKstorm Date 12-01-2003 16:13
Was wondering if I did not indicate 0 (zero) on my drawing for the root on a 45 degree bevel groove weld, is it assumed 0 (zero) for the root? Is 0 (zero) the defualted root size if the root is not given?

Thanks in advance

~ADKstorm~
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2003 16:44
Hi ADKstorm,
Which joint would you be referring to? Actually, the "default" root opening would be per the qualified WPS or the prequalified joint designation(they can be different). For instance, a prequalified TC-U4a would have a 1/4" root opening with a fit-up tolerance of +1/4,-1/16(for the 45 degree bevel using SMAW), and a prequalified TC-U4b would have the assumed 0" to an 1/8" root opening like you are referring to with a fit-up tolerance of +1/16,-1/8.
I wouldn't just assume the root to be zero unless the joint designation is as such.
(I was assuming you are working to D1.1-Structural Code)

Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - - By ADKstorm Date 12-01-2003 17:31
I am using a joint designation: BTC-P4
...and yes I am working to AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code

The root gap for this designation is 0" ...so do I need to state 0 in my weld symbol call-out for the root? ....I just want to make sure I get the weld I want but I also only want show only what is necessary on my drawing and avoid the "overkill". If it is better to show it to avoid being given the wrong root, then I will state 0", but I would think that with this joint disgnation, there is no other option...correct?

Thanks for the replies,

ADKstorm
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2003 17:53
ADKstorm,
That would be a partial pen joint. If you want to get the correct joint that you are intending, I would specify the BTU-P4 in the tail of the symbol and then you will still need to specify depth of bevel and size of weld along with the angle of bevel to make sure that your weld can be accomplished as desired. If you don't specify any of the above, you will leave the welder in the position of being the designer and he/she will have to use their best judgement to figure out what your intentions are.
Good Luck with your drawings,
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2003 18:06
AWS A2.4 is the reference for welding symbols. I have a copy if you need to look at something in particular, email me directly.
Hope I can help,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bevel groove weld call-out