Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld test-aWS B2.1
- - By sprinklerwelder (*) Date 12-01-2003 22:52
i need to certify on pipe for unlimited thickness using GMAW and SMAW. Will the mig test be the same as stick ? would it be sch80 pipe 6g? can i downhill the mig? what is the best root opening for a mig? i have trouble getting 100% penetration around the weld.my code book states that "welders shall be required to meet or exceed the requirments of AWS B2.1." Whats this mean? What do i have to do to satisfy this requirement.
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE TIME AND HELP! U ALL HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE QUALITY OF MY WORK!

Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 12-04-2003 14:24
there are a lot of variables that you have not specified that would determine what test or tests you will have to take.....you will have to deposit a minimum of 3/4" of weld to obtain the unlimited thickness...pipe test size will be determined by what size pipe you intend on welding in the field....the welds can be ran downhill as long as you have a procedure for it and the procedure is approved by the engineer of record.....if you can post exactly what size pipe and thickness you will be welding what type of filler metal(s) will be used for each process im sure someone can help you out more
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2003 15:55
In addition to what Wildturkey has stated, what code are you trying to work to? Some codes will require completely different tests to achieve unlimited thickness and diameters. I was going to reply earlier to your questions, but have been extremely busy here at work, and your question(s) was going to take some time to answer.
Sorry for the delay,
John Wright
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-04-2003 18:01
AWS B2.1 was specified in the post.

AWS B2.1:2000:
1.) Table 3.1: Bend testing [4] or radiography are required to qualify the welder.

One test will not cover all diameters though:
2.) Table 3.6: 1" - 2-7/8" dia. will qualify dia. 1" to 2-7/8" diameters
>2-7/8" will qualify diameters >2-7/8"

3.) Table 3.5: 6G qualifies all positions.

Here's where it gets interesting.
3.1.7: This specification requires a qualifier to be present and the welder to be "...under full supervision and control of the qualifier..." during testing.
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 12-04-2003 18:13
DGXL

in the B2.1:98 table 3.6 shows testing on pipe 1" through 2 7/8" qualifies for a minimum diameter of 1" it does not list a maximum diameter.

if the 2000 code if different please let me know so i can make a few notes
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-04-2003 18:31
The range qualified is 1" to unlimited diameters. OOPS! Sorry sprinklerwelder!

This table has not changed between the 98 and 2000 revisions. I looked in my 84' revision of B2.1 and it is mo better explained as it is clearly stated: "1" and and over".
In other words, if a welder qualifies pipe 1" - 2-7/8", he/she is qualified for the diameter tested and over.
Qualification on pipe/tube >2-7/8" qualifies 2-7/8" diameters and over.

I wish AWS did not have to keep us guessing how they arrive at the changes, revisions and interpretations of codes, standards or specifications. The 1984 revision is basic and to the point.

I can't wait until the new revision comes out sometime next year...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2003 18:37
DGXL,Wildturkey,
How does that para 3.1.7 work? I guess I don't fully understand what it is trying to say. Who is the "qualifier" person? Would it be the person administering the test?
John Wright
Maybe I should just get a current copy of B2.1.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-04-2003 22:47
Hey John:
If you guys do any bridge work at your facility, an administrator is required to witness all qualification testing. This provision of the B2.1 is the same biz.

I have been using the B2.1 for many of my projects over the years because I never get simple projects. That's why my clients call me. I often have to generate the engineering/design data and/or acceptance criteria, then have it approved by the client or EOR.

It's almost 2 in the afternoon here in CA and I'm just having breakfast. This is also typical of my projects.
(Right about now I'm thinking: "I got your B2.1, right here!")
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-05-2003 11:46
DGXL,
We don't have the bridge certification, just the complex bldg. However, required or not for us, I watch all my qualification tests from the time the first arc is struck until the thing is capped off. I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not, just wanted to keep up with what was going on with the coupon as it was being filled up. You don't have to watch very long to figure out if it's the welder's first rodeo or not, know what I mean?
Gotta run, take care!
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld test-aWS B2.1