Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 PHASE CONVERSION
- - By sprinklerwelder (*) Date 12-01-2003 22:58
how do u hook a 3 phase welder into a residential electric box? I've seen alot of used 3 phase welders for cheap and thought of getting one for my home. Can this be done and how would i go about it?
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-02-2003 08:22
If the manufacturer intended for this to be possible there is most likely a diagram (usually under the cover where you wire in the primary supply). It will show how to adjust for various voltages and 3phase or single phase operation. Failing that you can generate 3 phase from single phase using a converter but I have no experience with these devices.
Bill
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2003 12:27
I've personnally not run a welder from a phase converter. My father-in-law runs a whole machine shop that way, but his buzz box is ran off 220v single phase. All his compressors, drills, lathes and a bridgeport end mill are all 3 phase equipment and they do fine. I've heard that some have ran welders from these converter without any problems, but I can't say for myself. Some had concerns whether or not it would bother the arc on some high freq. TIG machines, but I can't say if it does or not. There has been much discussion in the past on the forum about these converters, try the search function and check it out.
John Wright
Parent - By Bob Sigmon (*) Date 12-02-2003 19:31
Check out this Ebay Supplier of 3 phase converters . . . http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=40706418&ssPageName=L2

You could email them for info.

Bob Sigmon
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2003 20:36
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html
Here is a link for some plans if you want to build one.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 PHASE CONVERSION