Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Section IX Qualification Range
- - By Hojo (*) Date 12-05-2003 21:39
If a welder qualifies on a 1/2" thick plate and also a 1/4" NPS x 0.119wall pipe is he qualified to weld on pipe 1/4" NPS with wall thicknesses up to 1" thick?
Parent - By insp76 (**) Date 12-06-2003 01:29
HOJO, if you can find a 1/4" nps 1'' thick pipe you are qualified to weld it according to ASME Sec. IX but last I`ve seen the O.D. of 1/4" nps is only .540 per ASME B16.5 , the thickest nps 1/4" gets is SHC. 80 .119 wall, the thinnest is SHC. 40 .088 wall. If you want to know if you can use a combination of qualifications to weld in the field the answer is yes you can in many cases.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-07-2003 02:45
Your example of 1/4" pipe with thickness up to 1" is not realistic, as insp76 says, but I think your question is along the lines of "is it acceptable to combine the qualified thickness range of a plate test with the qualified diameter range of a pipe test?" If that is the question, I believe the answer is that you cannot combine thickness ranges for a plate test with a pipe test. QW-452.1 Note 2 says you can combine the deposited weld metal limits for two or more "pipe" coupons of different thicknesses, but doesn't say you can combine plate and pipe.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-08-2003 14:58
The simple answer is "NO" Plate does not qualify pipe except for pipe over 24" OD ~ See ASME IX, QW-461.9. The 1/4" NPS 0.119 wall qualifies you to weld pipes with a minimum diameter of 1/4" and a wall thickness of 0.238" or 2x the wall thickness of the test weld. Hope that helps!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-09-2003 01:08
If the person ONLY took the plate test say in 2G position that individual would be qualified to weld pipe 2-7/8" OD and larger in the 2G position. Plate DOES qualify to weld on pipe however diameter and position restrictions exist.

The answer to your question is no as others have indicated. The table in section IX referred to in the other posts contains the information indicating the above.

Thanks

Gerald Austin

Parent - By Hojo (*) Date 12-09-2003 13:52
Thanks for all of the great answers. I really didn't word the question properly but I did get the information I was looking for.
Thanks again.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-09-2003 14:45
Gerald, it is very seldom I disagree with your postings but in this case I must. ASME IX, QW-461.9 would NOT allow welding of pipe 2-7/8" OD by welding a plate test, it would allow welding of pipe over 24 in. OD. Also, if one pays attention to Table QW-461.9 it doesn't permit fillet welded plate tests to perform pipe fillet welds of any size. Interesting stuff.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-10-2003 01:00
I have looked at it again and I read it that a 2G plate test would allow for welding of Horizontal and Flat pipe 2-7/8" OD pipe.

On the 1st row for qualification tests using plate line up on the row for 2G. Go to the right under the column for pipe less than or equal to 24". At that intersection the positions listed are flat and horizontal. A footnote is listed #2. This footnote indicates the minimum diameter as 2-7/8".

That is what mine says. I don't have the most current code so I may be in error but I doubt this has changed.

Let me know what yours says and what edition if not the same as above to prevent me from spreading any misinformation.

Its also interesting that groove welded plate 3G and 4G allows for all fillet welded pipe.

Let me me know what you find.

Have a nice day

Gerald

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-10-2003 14:50
Gerald, once again you are correct! You know, it's an interesting thing about our business, I've been working with ASME Codes for over 22 years and it just proves the point that no matter the level of one's experience it is always useful to get the input of others! Thanks for setting me straight Gerald! By the way, I have the latest edition (2001 with 2003 Addenda) that I am referencing.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-11-2003 03:48
I have the 2001 with no addenda.

Sometimes familiarity is our worst enemy.

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - - By insp76 (**) Date 12-11-2003 13:30
Well I owe an apology to HOJO and the forum for shooting off my mouth without looking it up first. I have a copy of B16.5 on my computer and I did look that up but my ASME Sec. IX was in my truck and for some stupid reason said he was qualified. On the job I never say anything without fully researching every aspect before making a statement and I should always stick to that before openning my mouth (open mouth insert foot) hahahah. The sad thing is I should know better than that, I`ve been involved in welder qualification for a long time , I`ve personally taken a hundred or so welding test and have CWI,CWE,API 510 and API 570 Certifications. Oh well it won`t be the first time I made a fool of my self. Yall have a good one!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-11-2003 13:53
Insp76 ~ you think you have patent rights on that? I think from time to time we all get bit by the "know it all" bug and stick our feet in our mouths! The important thing I've found over the past 23 years as a CWI/SCWI is to own up to our mistakes when we've made them and inform those who we've misinformed. You'd be surprized the level of respect it brings!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2003 14:46
Agreed, I know the foot-in-mouth thing all too well, myself.
John Wright
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-12-2003 03:40
Been there, done that!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-12-2003 06:09
Ditto to that also!!!
If we did'nt admit our inperfections, we would'nt be who we are - HUMAN!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent Run deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Section IX Qualification Range