Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / water cooled tig setup.
- - By Ken377LX (*) Date 12-07-2003 07:22
I have been welding some heavier aluminum with my air cooled torch setup and the heat is really starting to bother me. I can only weld for a minute or two and then I have to rest and let things cool down.

I was wondering if it is possible to run a water cooled torch and just connect the water feed to a faucet for a cheap coolant source. And then just drain the water down the sink, or driveway. I don't anticipate welding aluminum this thick very often. I can't really justify a coolant system that costs $400+ or more.
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 12-07-2003 16:39
yes, It's done all the time.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-07-2003 17:30
A friend of mine used a cold water storage tank(30-35 gallon?) and added a pump to circulate the water through his TIG rig. It holds enough water to keep it cool. He also added something to the water to keep it from freezing. It seems to work fine for him.
just a thought for a cheaper alternative,
John Wright
Parent - - By Ken377LX (*) Date 12-07-2003 20:55
Great. I thought this would work. The guy at the welding shop said I would ruin the torch by doing this, which didn't make any sense. He couldn't tell me what pressure the expensive cooling units run at and didn't really have a good reason why it was bad other than the tap water was "too cold" and would crack the torch. That sounded a bit lame to me, copper inside the torch won't be cracking.

I'll probably give this a try then. Thanks for the help.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 12-07-2003 23:13
I concur with aircraft.
Parent - By stever (**) Date 12-07-2003 23:57
The user manual/directions that used to be put in with a new water cooled tig rig had a diagram for that very hook up. Hook it to the faucet and stick the return from the torch in the drain. As far as the pressure goes, the water can be regulated with the faucet valve. Doesn't take much, just enough to cool the torch. If it starts to get warm open the valve a little more.

I'm so cheap I built my own torch radiator. I was repairing boat propellers full time.I got a heater core out of a car. Put a squirrel cage blower on one side of it. Used a pump out of one of those backyard fish ponds. Literally used the stainless kitchen sink for the resevoir. Of course, I plugged the drain. The only fabrication was the sink lid that everything is bolted to. If I had a place to post pictures you could see the thing. It's been working fine for about fifteen years.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-08-2003 13:48
Yes, but! The water is used as a conducter and must be properly grounded. There are instructions with most wet torches on such a set up.
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 12-09-2003 05:59
When I first started using a water-cooled torch (Esab HW-20) several years ago, I took a female hose fitting and brazed a small diameter tube on to it so that I could attach a length of 1/4" I.D. polyethylene tubing to it. This tubing had a small diameter tube connector on the other end that allowed connection of the torch's water inlet hose to it. The water return line was connected in similar fashion to another length of polyethylene tubing that ran to the yard outside of my workshop. The 30 to 50 psi coming from my faucet was more than enough to push cold water through the torch. It worked well enough so that I used it for a while until I finally got a real welding cooler.
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 01-05-2004 19:54
Ken

There is also a Water Solenoid Kit that lincoln sells for $53 if you are interested. Its on their web site.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / water cooled tig setup.