Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which one? Red or Blue?
- - By djk3340 Date 12-11-2003 23:50
I've been lurking on this board for a little while and I know this is an overasked question, but I have to do it. I am a mechanic and I plan on purchasing a 115v Mig in the near future. Here's the question. If you had your choice would you buy the Lincoln SP135 plus or the Millermatic 135? I can get either for the same price. Purchase the Miller from a local dealer or buy the Lincoln off of the net? I know that the area I live in seems to be "blue" just by calling local dealers. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 12-12-2003 01:03
Get the 220 line put in and buy a welder that matches it.
Parent - By - Date 12-12-2003 01:41
Or, buy the 120 volt machine, and wish you had the 220 till you kick yourself enough to get it. Them small 120 volt machines are real easy to sell, as long as you don't have to demonstrate it.
Parent - By gangel99 (*) Date 12-12-2003 02:06
Not having the money to get 220V in my garage I bought a Lincoln SP135+. I am very happy with it but it is definitely light duty - realistically limited to 1/8" mild steel. I think the other guys are right - if you can get 220v I'd go with a heavier machine.
Parent - - By kekoakeakane (*) Date 12-12-2003 02:37
I would also say go for the 220 if you can. Either way, I have the Millermatic 175 and like it very much. I do have all blue (i.e. MIG, TIG, Plasma), but that's more because the Miller Reps here treated me better than the Lincoln guys. Plus the Miller Distributor has 4 stores vice 1 for Lincoln.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 12-12-2003 03:42
Give both machines the acid test. Have the dealer demo both machines with 100% carbon dioxide gas. Then try the best arc machine with the 75-80 percent argon remainder carbon dioxide. Purchase and put a dedicated 30 amp breaker, 10gauge wire and receptacle just for the machine. Weld sheet metal with 0.023 ER70S6 and you should be set for 1/8" and thinner.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2003 13:58
I don't have the blue one, but I have it's close relative, the Hobart 135 Handler .035 with the gas kit. I love it for what it's good for. But it's limited on power and it shows if you work it too hard. The duty cycle is low and and it will take you a long time to fill up a thick groove with weld metal. I have full pen'd 5/8 thick plate, to mount my winch on my car trailer, but it took forever. If the plate had been any wider, the machine would have cut back to the fan only before I finished a pass. For exhaust tubing and lighter stuff it works great. I know what it's like to work on a tight budget, so I can understand looking at the 115v machines, but if budget allows, and you have electrical service for the 220v, go for it.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2003 14:04
BTW, there’s an unbelievable welding machine for sale in the “For Sale” section of the forum. Check it out, it is almost humorous the amount of capability this machine has.
John Wright
Parent - By djk3340 Date 12-12-2003 18:35
Thanks for the fast responses. As for 220, it is available, but I wanted the flexibility and portability of a smaller machine. The budget isn't all that limited, but I don't plan on needing anything that can weld past 1/8" plate. I can always purchase a dedicated stick welder for heavy stuff. The machine would be primarily for the occasional exhaust or other sheet metal repair. I thought of constucting some shelving for my garage composed of 1/8" angle. So, the question is still, which to choose from? The local dealer that has a machine that I haven't experienced or the internet deal that is really a 'deal'? BTW, that one in the 'for sale' forum sounds 'amazing'. LOL.
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 12-23-2003 16:28
The Miller has a better drive system,and Lincoln has a proven unit,and a arc that the Miller has not been able to match yet.I would say the arc of the Hobart is better than the Miller.By the way there is nothing wrong with the Lincoln drive setup as far as feeding wire for a very long time.I would say one is better on paper,and one is better in the real world.guess which one.
Parent - By clj575 Date 12-24-2003 06:05
whatsup bro......if your electric dryer is in your garage that 220 outlet will work..correct amp and phase. i was in the same boat with the money issue so i just went to my credit union and got a loan with an excellent % rate and i'm pickin my welder up tomorrow!! the Blue that is!

you can search ebay for welders.....cyberweld.com....welders-direct.com are also some to look at. i am going to a local dealer that is actually getting a millermatic 175 in tomorrow.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which one? Red or Blue?