Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of CTOD Material to Non CTOD Mat
- - By Xavier David Date 12-16-2003 11:40
I have qualified a WPS for API 2W Gr 60 material with CTOD properties using consumable with CTOD properties. At the same time I have also qualified another WPS for API 2w Gr 60 material without CTOD using welding consumable without CTOD properties.
IF I want to weld API 2W Gr 60 with CTOD properties to API 2W Gr 60 without CTOD properties, which WPS shall I use?
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-16-2003 21:43
Hi David

The materials that have the "CTOD properties" are not necessarily any different from those that "do not have the CTOD properties". It only means that the procedure qualified with materials with the specified CTOD properties have been "certified" to meet these properties, while the other procedure does not.

When you are welding the material with the specified property, to a material without the specified property, I can only assume it is because you have some kind of "spec break" on your component. As such, the weld must fall outside the area that requires the spec calling for the CTOD properties. (I say this because if it did not, the non CTOD base metal would not be a "legal" option in that area.) To my mind then, you could use any of the two procedures. You could not possibly go wrong using the procedure qualified with the CTOD properties, but you may have the problem that you need a specific batch of filler, which you may no longer have in stock.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of CTOD Material to Non CTOD Mat