Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What material is this ?
- - By Inspector D Date 12-16-2003 16:40
What kind of consumable electrode should i use to do a weld repair on base material SA-182 G316 ? I need to start welding as soon as I can and should order the material today. please help me out if you can.

Ryan
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 12-16-2003 16:50
From the ATM Web site:

A182/A182M-02 Standard Specification for Forged or Rolled Alloy-Steel Pipe Flanges, Forged Fittings, and Valves and Parts for High-Temperature Service

This specification covers forged low alloy and stainless steel piping components for use in pressure systems. Included are flanges, fittings, valves, and similar parts to specified dimensions or to dimensional standards such as the ASME specifications that are referenced in Section 2.

I don't have the whole spec to check the grade, but it sounds like 316 stainless......

Parent - By Inspector D Date 12-16-2003 16:59
thanks for the quick response. me too im 95% sure sure on the 316 stainless but its an important job and i will sleep more peaceful tonight if i could see it spelled out in some spec.
Parent - By chall (***) Date 12-16-2003 17:19
G316 is technically not listed in SA182. There are a number of 316 grade stainless materials listed though. Before selecting a filler I would do a bit more digging and make sure of the exact grade. You wouldn't want to use a 316L filler if the material is 316H.

Charles
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-16-2003 21:16
Hi Ryan

I suspect that this is trying to say: SA182 "Grade" 316, or they typed "G" instead of "F". At any rate, there are the following grades of 316:

F 316
F 316L
F 316H

I would be guided on the selection of filler, by the service of the component, rather than the actual alloy, in this case.

All in all, I would clarify the material specified, before worrying about the filler material.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-16-2003 22:08
You can search for a part of a "type or Grade" at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com//type_or_grade_string.asp but it won't return G316 as that is not contained in the database. Another place that you can search online for material information is p-numbers.com by c-Spec.

The c-spec database is more complete than mine as I don't keep the addenda up to date.

Have a pleasant day

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What material is this ?