Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What are the odds of me teaching.....
- - By Mike W (**) Date 12-17-2003 18:36
....someone to TIG weld that has never welded before? Slim to none? I need to attempt this at work. Any advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of handing them two coke cans and saying when you weld this together, you pass. I really don't know where to start.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-17-2003 19:04
Hi Mike

Off-course it can be done. Why should GTAW not be the first process you learn? Obviously it will just take a little longer and a little more patience than with somebody that has experience with some of the other processes.

I would however not start with the coke cans! - Plain old bead on plate is a very good starting point!

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-17-2003 19:10
I think the post is asking the opposite and with regards to "teaching" GTAW.

First, the "coke can" pertains to welding specific materials of a given thickness. As an instructor I do not agree that you can simply drop materials and the bench and ask the welder to weld it. Secondly, this is NOT teaching. Teaching is typically performed by someone with the education, experience and training to do so.

You post title of "what are the odds of me teaching" IMHO are slim to none as far as GTAW is concerned. How can you "teach" what you have little to no knowledge of?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 12-17-2003 19:43
I'm confused!
Who has never welded? The potential instrutor or the potential student?
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-18-2003 20:06
Hi Ron

I can not imagine that the instructor has no GTAW experience! If that is the case, I certainly misunderstood the question!

I think now is a good time for Mike to clarify.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 12-18-2003 20:18
Hi, yes I can do GTAW. I just have never tried to teach another person how to do it.
Parent - - By Dagwood (*) Date 12-18-2003 20:31
I used to work at a place that built brewery equipment and we were always trying to bring labourers up to apprentice as welders. They would watch a welder for a bit to get the idea of what the welding should look like. Then I would give them a pile of scrap to work with and set up a few "T" joints to try first. I would do one or two and then let them try. After they did a couple of welds, I would let them know what to try to help out in getting their quality up. I would generally spend 4-6 hours working with them then let them have a try themselves for the rest of the day. Although, keep an eye on them so they don't get side tracked too much. After a day or two of practicing they were usually ready to try some real welding out, but not on anything important of course! Most guys that had any talent for it were up and running within about 2-3 weeks. It usually didn't take too long for them to catch on. We would then assign jobs according to their abilities and maybe even get an apprenticeship for them after 6 months or so.

As far as teaching someone to TIG weld for a day or two, that would be a tough thing to do unless they have some welding experience already. They will need a bit of time to figure it out.

Hope this may have helped?
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 12-18-2003 20:56
Thanks, I am trying to figure out how to not "teach" them bad habits from the start. I will go over my books for the basics. The majority of the welding will be non-critical. A typical job would be to replace a 6 by 6" damaged piece of 1/16 aluminum in an enclousure.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What are the odds of me teaching.....