Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln NR-305 AWS E70T-6
- - By KCR Date 12-17-2003 19:27
I am getting some mild sruface porosity in my weld (like pimples) and a "wrinkled" apperance, using this wire. My amps are at 475, volts 28, stick-out @ 2", 90 degrees to the work, 3/32 wire, 1G position. Any suggestions?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-17-2003 20:17
Surface prep(mill scale, oil, moisture)? Any breezes stirring around? Your parameters are right on the mark according to lincoln electric.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-17-2003 20:30
Just thought of something else to consider, some of those self-shielded wires will pick up moisture if not kept completely dry, if all else checks out, change your wire and see if it makes any difference.
John Wright
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-18-2003 19:40
Hi KCR

The features you described are typical of the situation when gas bubbles are trapped between the still semi-moulten weld pool and the already solidified slag. The first approach is to get rid of all sources of moisture or hydrocarbon contamination as far as possible. (Already addressed by John)

The other approach to solve the problem, is to get rid of the gas from your weld pool before the slag has an opportunity to harden. This would typically involve increasing the weld pool fluidity. This can be done by possibly increasing the voltage slightly and reducing the stick-out. Try 29-30 volts and 1 - 1&1/2" stick-out.

Always keep in mind that you may have received an "off" batch of wire that has contaminated flux in.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln NR-305 AWS E70T-6