Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what is a constant votage adaptor??
- - By HOAGY (*) Date 12-22-2003 11:34
i read in lincolns flyer about an adaptor you can feild install to have constant voltage for wire welding from a sa250 i have a sa200 i am thinking aboutadding cv to it. thanks hoagy
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-22-2003 21:43
I have an older SAE 400 with an add on CV adapter. It works as promised. I run an LN-25 off of it. I am aware that Lincoln claims the LN will run off of CC, but I do not like the way it performs so I installed the adapter kit and life is good.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 12-23-2003 03:46
Hoagy,
I'm not sure I understand your question. Mr Sherman's information has always been dependable- I trust it and some people may consider that a decent recommendation- but I think you may be asking about what the CV adapter actually does to enable the power supply for a different processes... is that the case?
d
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-23-2003 05:23
Well then Dee?
Why do'nt you explain it to Hoagy?

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 12-23-2003 18:11
SSBN,
Its good to see you again in your typical form! By all means let me extend the same thoughts to you.

I expect you're aware of the depth of the physics involved necessary to completely describe the difference between CC and CV arc characteristics, let alone power supply design, and you're probably aware I have many weeks worth of catching-up to do here. Defning for the first time the difference between voltage and current alone can sometimes be considered an accomplishment in itself, so, bluntly put, it's because I have other things I'd rather do. At least I was compelled to contribute what I could to try to help.
As one of the forum administrators here- I recall you described yourself as that or some similar kind of forum official to me not so long ago- I'd hope you would have the resources to direct our friend Hoagy to a useful link... in the Holiday spirit of course, please relay my greetings to the rest of the team.

BTW I'm aware that they've been brazing stainless to aluminum for at least half a century; I suspect it would be possible to braze aluminum to steel as well. The brazing process is better in corrosive environments than alternatives I've encountered; the bond is superior. Is the metalurgacal difference bertween the stainless and common steel alloys a factor that would make steel incompatible with the process?
Regards & Holiday Cheer
d
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-24-2003 05:46
Hi Dee!
I'm a forum and AWS member for the record...

I did'nt know that this was going to turn into a political debate or something to that effect but since you do'nt want to share your thoughts on Hoagy's question then, so be it!!! I believe he got the answer that he was looking for anyway from Mike and JTMcC...

As far as your "BTW" question is concerned, well it's a rather vague one.
Could you please elaborate more??? I ask this because as you know there are many types of steel and also many types of stainless steels so if you could be more specific then, I'd be glad to answer your question as best as I possibly could...

May you and your family, friends enjoy a wonderful, safe and peaceful holidays!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By dee (***) Date 12-24-2003 21:21
SSBN,
The brazing question was just a general, theoretical one for conversation only; I don't have an immediate or specific need, however, for some reason- I may be thinking of someone else- I thought it might be helpful based on something I thought I read in a different, unrelated thread a while ago and attributed to you. It's of no importance whatsoever compared to last minute shopping, preparations for holiday dinner, college interviews and applications, and whatever estrogen-driven emergency challenge remains to be thrust upon me before I'm allowed to rest up back at work.

Holiday regards,
D
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-23-2003 16:47
Maybe I didn't answer the question. Sometimes I get off on a tangent and forget what was asked. The CV adapter that I have is a black box that is installed under the hood of my SAE 400. It has a numbered dial for volts and it's own ground cabe. It is not something for the average guy to install. Certainly not going to be installed in an afternoon in the field. It took my Lincoln approved repairman two days. It also will change the way your controls on the front of the machine work. For me it was worth it, but for some situations you may want to consider another machine. Good luck.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By jimwelds (**) Date 12-31-2003 23:47
mike how long does in your guys to install a cv-3 in a miller cc to include cv for a wire feeding, Thanks Jim
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-24-2003 00:17
I have a "wire feed module" on a Classic II, 1998 model. Mine came from the factory with the module, but the manual says it can be installed in 60 minutes, they show pictures and give detailed step by step instructions, it looks more like a two hour job to me. But thats on a machine made to redily accept it. I don't know how much more trouble it would be on your SA 200, do they list a model for it?
Auxillary power is reduced 25% when in CV mode.
The main module contains a capacitor bank, electronic control circuit and a cold tip contactor.
What were you wanting to use it for? They make a big difference with the voltage sensitive flux core wires.

Ho! Ho! Ho!
JTMcC.
Parent - - By HOAGY (*) Date 12-24-2003 01:01
can you se3nd me a copy of the schmatic please?
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-24-2003 03:12
Sure.The module I have may not be what you would use on an SA 200, I don't know, but the manual shows it for any of the classic series and SA 250 and 350. What schematic are you interested in? There is a wiring diagram of the module itself, one showing connections to the machine, and several showing hookup to different wire feeders. You probably should ask Lincoln if there is a module made for use with your machine.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By HOAGY (*) Date 01-02-2004 16:18
i have a s-23-s made by miller it is an older unit , but i have it.
i heard there is a flux cored wire for alum. and i want to run it on
my s-23-s .
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-03-2004 15:21
Did you recieve the diagrams I e mailed to you?
On my model, there is only one connection to the welding machine, at the negative brush holder.
I would suggest you call the Lincoln tech help line, they have been helpfull to me in the past, they should be able to answer your questions.
Who makes the flux core aluminum wire?

JTMcC.
Parent - By HOAGY (*) Date 01-04-2004 05:16
yes i did and thank you i want to run alum wire fluxecore/ innersheild if it is practical! one other question, do you HAVE to have ac when tiging alum? i heard you can change gas to helium and use dc and get the same results. was my chain getting yanked? thanks hoagy
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 12-24-2003 17:43
The CV adapter for a SA200 is #k384. You can get list price on Lincoln website.
This will work with SA200 above code7240. You will have max output of 200amp@35v 60% or 250amp@30v 35%
I got this from Lincoln publication E6.300
Hope this helps ,Jeff
Parent - - By peter vacco (*) Date 01-01-2004 22:21
the cv adaptor on a sa250 turns it into just the sweetest machine for running cored wire (innershield). sure , you can run wire on cc (formerly Variable Voltage), but it is sucky and hard to do. the cv unit turns what is an annoyance into a profitable task. and it's about impossible to run overhead on cc.
i am not so sure that you actually can stick one on a 200, they have different setups. gotta check with lincoln.
if you intend to use wire to weld, you pretty much HAVE to eventually go with a cv machine.
the sa250 with adaptor makes a nicer arc than even the commander 500's, but not enough amps to run larger wire size. as i recall an 250 will put out only about 425 amps on a load bank, and after that point the engine just lays down. a sa200 has nowhere near the hp that the perkins diesel sa250 does.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-12-2004 15:36
An update for everyone.

The D1.1:2004, 3.2.4 denotes prequalified WPS's for FCAW/GMAW shall be performed using CV power sources.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-12-2004 15:53
Thanks for the update DGXL,
I haven't ordered my D1.1:2004 yet. I gotta get on the ball and get those copies ordered.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what is a constant votage adaptor??