Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How well does Tig spot welding work?
- - By Mike W (**) Date 12-23-2003 18:39
I have never tried it. I did hear that you use a special cup. How is the appearance of the welds? Thanks.
Parent - By chall (***) Date 12-23-2003 22:00
Pardon the fact that I'm answering a question with a question, but what are you welding and how much of it is there?

Depending on your situation, it may be better to go with a GMAW process. Miller has a reasonably inexpensive setup that you can install a timer on. Pull the trigger and voila, it comes out almost perfect every time.

To give a vague answer, it depends on your ability. If you can TIG weld the materials, and the application only calls for spot welding, and you make a weld at the proscribed interval, it should be fine.

Charles Hall
Parent - - By G Mulee (*) Date 12-24-2003 15:05
20 years ago we used GTAW spot welding equipment made by AIRCO. It worked very well. We also used the same equipment for tacking.

The machine had a gun shaped weld head. You pressed the cup against the part and pulled the trigger. The tungsten touched the part and initiated a timed arc.
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-26-2003 05:00
I have tested people at the manufacturing facility I was teaching at to a GTAW spot weld test. The application was for a very thin 304 stainless name plate to a .375 thick A36 plate. We set the amperage at 90 maximum amps using a 3/32" 2% thoriated tungsten recessed back from the tip of the cup 1/8". We used the high frequency start. To make the spot weld, we held the cup down tight on the stainless plate, and held the remote foot pedal down to the maximum for a count of 1001,1002, 1003, 1004, and then released the pedal. The result was a perfect nugget when we did the peel test.

Mike
Parent - - By happybearwelder (*) Date 12-28-2003 21:39
Spot welding with TIG works very well. Counting works for timing, as suggested by Mblaha. A couple of other things. It is critical that the pieces being welded are clamped tight. Vice grips on both sides of the welds work really well. You can also tell when the weld is done by watching the back side. when the spot glows very bright, its done. (unless you are working with aluminum.) At that point it is close to burn through, so watch it close. Last, I like to set the machine to pannel control instead of remote. That way all you have to do is push the pedel until it fires and count and/or watch, and not be concerned if you pushed it all the way. If you have a timer, they will all look the same.
Done right they really hold well. I have done them mostly on Stainless and thin carbon steels. Aluminum is, from my experinece iffy at best. But I never had a real reason to work it much.
The Happybearwelder.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-28-2003 23:25
Read this thread for more info:
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=4497
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How well does Tig spot welding work?