Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Crafts
- - By Goldwinger Date 12-25-2003 17:44
Hi,
Could anyone give me advice on the best way to make small welds
on 1/8 and 3/16 rolled steel. I will have to make several small welds
making crafts like candle holders and such. I have a small century
100A powermate wire feed welder and have tried it with the flux wire
but didnt have much luck. Would it be worth while to get the gas bottle
on it? Or would a spot welder or something else work better?
Thanks in Advance, Gordy
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 12-25-2003 18:17
Welcome to the gang G.

I have a Lincoln ProMig 135, and for light duty, I can honestly say I'm happy with it.

A pro will stop by soon and give a complete answer. We have a good group here and it's here where I have learned a ton. Searching is a good buddy here...

I'm an artist myself and started making furniture not too long ago. Again, welcome to the Blue's club...

http://www.fungusworks.com/TheShow/html/Exhaust.html (half way down the page)

RM
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 12-25-2003 18:45
Hi, get the gas setup. I use CO2. I often make small welds like you are talking about. I tried the flux core once......only once. It said right on the box that some welders may not like the appearance of the weld. They were right.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-25-2003 19:01
I just sold a small thermal arc 80 amp CC machine that I used to tig weld with. It would turn down very low and I have actually run a bead on the side of a piece of ER70 Tig wire.

Any SMALL dc output stick machine that operates off 110 would be suitable for what you describe. All you need then is an air colled GTAW setup and gas bottle. (And some practice if you have never tig welded before.

Also, Oxyacet brazing and welding work great too. The brazing is best in my opinion if color match is not important.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Goldwinger Date 12-28-2003 05:48
Thanks for the quick responses, I think I may try MIG welding first
since the only thing I would need to get is the gas bottle. The only
thing about the welds Im doing is even with the auto darkening helmet
by the time I get my bearings the weld is over.
Thanks Again, Gordy
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 12-31-2003 09:27
Gordy,
The application you have is, in general, the kind of work I do most, and I agree with Gerald about brazing, as well as Bill's remarks about product design.
Few people have ever noticed the brazed joint on carbide router or saw blades, but the carbide is brazed on nevertheless... properly executed brazed connetions will indeed be strong enough for you and can be inconspicuous. With normal lighting im my shop I can see well enough through a shade 5 spectacle that "bearings" as you mentioned are not an issue (specifically I use a shade5 grinders flip-up full face shield in front of corrective safety glasses)
If yu have the heat in your shop its no investment; if you dont have oxyfuel and you have a metal shop you'll be glad you got it.

Where complex product design makes brazing impractical I'd side with Bill, but it leaves you to your own devices to get your bearings before the weld is over. His point about product design is quite valid no matter how yu intend to fabricate it; it must be designed for the process you plan to employ.
Plug welds are quite secure and easy to create although under totally ideal conditions a brazed joint might be just a little faster after considering the clean-up grinding of the plug weld.

Can you be more specific about the kinds of problems you had with flux-core? I think we're just presuming it's the asthetics of the weld.

Regards
d
Parent - By Goldwinger Date 12-31-2003 10:11
I should have been more clear on what I am making. Mainly they are things to hold jar candles. You can see what I mean by going to www.mathewswire.com
Let me say I have never claimed to be a welder, but do have some experience stick welding. I really havent used my wire feed welder that much and wasnt able to get decent penetration with flux core wire.
Really I guess its just a tack weld I need to make on 1/8 inch rolled steel. I have used this welder before on different projects and have gotten penetration with a longer bead but I cant seem to get a good tack weld. Anyway hope I explained my problem a bit better.
Thank you all, Gordy
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-30-2003 05:53
Let's say you are going to put the cup on a candlestick. Drill a hole through the bottom of the cup. Then weld in the hole. It will be strong enough, beautiful welding isn't necessary because it's hidden. The machine you have will be sufficient. If you get the gas setup the plug welds are easier (my opinion) but I'm sure the flux core would be fine also. If you can't find a place to hide the hole you can grind it flat later. For added strength use extra holes with some space between them.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Crafts