Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Boiler Tube Test
- - By smity (*) Date 12-28-2003 15:51
What is the Boiler Tube Test given by the Boiler Makers Union? Is there just one or different test for different jobs? Someone told me that one of the test is GTAW root and SMAW the rest. I have also heard of GTAW half way and SMAW the other half, and GTAW the whole way.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-28-2003 23:10
I just took the common arc test in Memphis in June and SS Tube a couple of weeks ago. The test was GTAW root then SMAW fill and cap with a deposited thickness on paper of .125 GTAW (1 pass) and .500" with SMAW . That would then qualify for unlimited thickness SMAW.

I'm pretty sure commonn arc is consistant in what they give however individual companies may do something different.

Hope this helps

Gerald Austin

Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-29-2003 04:14
There are actually 15 different qualification tests in the Boilermakers Common Arc Program. Got to the following site and click on the Manual link to see a listing in the back of their manual:

http://www.commonarc.com

There are several tests on 2" pipe and one on 2.75" O.D. tube.

Marty
Parent - - By smity (*) Date 12-30-2003 23:46
Thanks for the input. Pipewelder was it any harder to weld the hot pass with SMAW instead of GTAW? I am guessing because of the thickness of the pipe it is not much harder?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-31-2003 01:35
Your right. The .625 wall pipe sucked the heat away nicely. I was going to split the 1st layer over the root then decided to just weld like I would in the field and it welded fine. When I did the SS I split it since I don't carry nearly as much of a puddle.

Have a good one

gerald
Parent - - By boilermaker (**) Date 01-03-2004 01:54
I've taken the .625 wall test for Exelon Nuclear and they only certify based on nominal thickness... Yes in theory, .500 qualifies you for unlimited, but if you go by NPS, the NPS could be .600 and your GTAW deposit thickness is .125, then your SMAW would be .475. Also the big thing is, Exelon doesn't re-up your certs when you weld for a participating contractor...They're only playing half the ball game. They'll cert. you at the union hall, you'll have them for 6 months and then almost every time you go to weld at a nuclear site, you have to take qualification test again.

Regards,
John
Parent - By smity (*) Date 01-08-2004 01:34
Thanks for the reply. It will most likley be some time before I test. I am still waiting to get a copy of my certifiaction, the QC is on vacation, so I can send it in with my application. Then get put on a waiting list. I am interested in seeing what I will be up against.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Boiler Tube Test