Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / null
- - By partialwrtx (*) Date 12-30-2003 09:29
[deleted]
Parent - By SUBLIME (*) Date 12-30-2003 16:05
I'm about ready to buy a Miller 180 TIG welder. As far as prices, I just don't see that many bargains on Ebay. I do notice there are quite a few Miller 250s from time to time and they are reasonably priced. As far as online store I have found Cyberweld to have about the best prices and usually FREE shipping.
Parent - By HOAGY (*) Date 12-30-2003 18:41
if your dad is going to the construction market, the best bet would be a lincoln. i have seen very capable welders bring in blue and didn't get past the gate! a good used lincoln (gas powered) can and does bring 1200 +/- the rest of the stuff ie tank,tig etc is abouy 3 or 400 that is here in upper midwest (iowa) good luck! hoagy
Parent - - By partialwrtx (*) Date 12-30-2003 19:17
[deleted]
Parent - By Bob Sigmon (*) Date 12-30-2003 19:33
The going rate for the Dynasty 200 DX is $2200. That's bare bones. You will also need a torch, foot controller and the argon shielding gas.

If your Dad is going to be doing aluminum, he'll need the AC of the Dynasty. Otherwise you may be able to get away with a lower priced machine.

Good Luck,

Bob Sigmon
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 12-30-2003 20:12
I am going to suggest a different approach which may or may not be appropriate for your father.

Since he as 40 yrs welding experience there is a good chance he knows what he would really like to have/require for his future projects. Why not give him a picture of a welder for the surprise but let him have some input into the actual model. I know this can be a budgetting problem but perhaps he might add a small amount of his own to your large amount and come away with the machine of his dreams.

Biggest problem, of course, is he'll say "too much money, I don't really need it" but you can always force the issue.

Good luck, both of you sound like lucky guys!
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 12-30-2003 20:34
I bought my Thermal Arc 185 for $1600. It puts out 185 amps for TIG, slightly lower than the Miller Dynasty 200, but I've welded 1/8" aluminum w/ it no problem. It comes w/ everything you need to start welding except for the gas cylinder.

Oh, and some people will say that Thermal Arc filed for bankruptcy, which is true...but a bankruptcy doesn't mean you're out of business! They are owned by a larger company, Thermadyne, which owns quite a few other welding products manufacturers such as Victor Torches and Tweco. Check them out at www.thermadyne.com.
Parent - - By partialwrtx (*) Date 12-31-2003 00:50
[deleted]
Parent - By Ed Mc (*) Date 12-31-2003 01:32
Yes, the T/A 185TSW is a AC/DC Tig and Stick unit. Thermodyne came out of bankruptcy proceedings last May. I bought one last Spring and have had no regrets. The unit has a 3 yr warranty and most , but not all of the features of the Miller Dynasty 200DX. These units have been out less than a year, so finding a used one would be difficult. You might check with a local welding supply for a refurbished, repack, demo (choose your term) unit. These are usually available through the companies dealers at a discount but with shorter warranties. A Miller 180SD under this situation might meet your budget.
Good Luck,
Ed
Parent - - By echo Date 01-03-2004 08:59
Partial, In your first post you mentioned Miller had the best control and feeding mechanisms. Are you looking for a Mig or a Tig? Tigs are out of your price range. The 180 Miller or a comparable Lincoln are as close as you can get. If he stick welds and gas welds why don't you get him a mig machine. A miller 210 is around $1000.00 and he can weld anything around the garage with it and easily too. I've got all 3 types of machines and the mig is the one I use the most. The tig is a slower process but if I had only one machine I'd probably pick a tig. The mig is quick for repairing and fabbing up stuff. Maybe you should search a little further. I would make a decision and go to several local welding suppliers and get prices on the same machines and buy locally. It may cost a tad more but if you have problems you'll have someone to help you. David
Parent - By dee (***) Date 01-04-2004 07:09
Wasn't there an outfit called Reddy-arc, or something like that, that marketed used machines with a warranty? I never needed 'em and didn't pay a whole lot of attention...

...Arcandflash made a good point, and there seems to be just a little confusion about the process dad wants to use (which makes arcandflash's point that much more sound)
Perhaps a little creativity can make the idea attain all goals. I'd think about some chicanery to use to get dad out to the welding store, perhaps under the guise of helping a mutual friend you let in on the trick- heck, think of what he'd say when he opens the package!
(of course the person will know nothing about welding- he's only just signed up for classes but he has to spend the money on equipment right away while he's got it before it goes elsewhere never to return... plausable enough? Dad's got an idea of the prices already; all you need is for him to point-out and explain the details and share his personal preference, no? You can come back and cut the deal later, or switch to plan "B" if you discover what he wants is out of your reach)

Regards,
D
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 01-12-2004 22:51

I think a welder with as much experience as your father is likely to be disappointed by a $1400 Tig setup. Also, there are a LOT of parts which go with a tig, from footpedal to argon, and they add up!

Give some thought to the Lincoln Invertec V205t. It's a swell little AC/DC TIG machine which is portable and has all the necessary features without costing what a Dynasty does.

Does you Dad already have a MIG? You could buy a lot nicer MIG for the money than a TIG. If he already has a MIG then he probably wants to do pretty advanced stuff on the TIG, and you may not be able to afford what he wants.

You could even get a little plasma cutter cheaper than a TIG.

Chris
Parent - - By partialwrtx (*) Date 01-13-2004 05:54
[deleted]
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 01-13-2004 07:21
most garages/houses are wired for single phase power. you have to spend some bucks to upgrade to 3 phase power.

After reading all the other posts and what you've said, I think your dad would get along great w/ a nice MIG welder. You can weld mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum w/ it. The only thing is, you'd have to buy him a spool gun to weld aluminum. That might be another $600 or so. But you can get a nice 250 or 300 amp MIG machine for $1500 that would handle thin and thick materials. Then you would have enough money left over to buy some accessories like a spool gun, gas cylinders, etc.

The MIG won't be able to weld everything (copper, magnesium, Inconel) but then again, how much of the exotic metals is he going to weld in the garage? Most garage projects are mild steel, stainless, and aluminum.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 01-13-2004 22:45
Sorry

I couldnt find anything on readyarc or whomever. I cannot even remember distinctly which big company operated them, and if I had seen them referenced in equipment for sale here at AWS or another trade publication.

I thnk I'd underscore my inclination to find a TIG machine for dad, if that's what he says he really wants. The challenge now becomes one of how far and wide to search for a deal. Apparently you understand you are restricted to single phase models.
There are hundreds of welding supply houses on the internet... they may be a good place to start to look. What has your local supply house suggested? Is it possible you can get the help of one of your dad's buddies?

Regards
d
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 01-14-2004 00:27

One thing you could do is buy him all the accessories: the auto-darkening helmet, the foot pedal, the argon, the regulator, a nice watercooled torch... you'll be well over a grand right there. Then let him pick out the unit.

Don't buy a cheap TIG for this guy. The Invertec is a $2000 unit (base cost) and is probably the minimum he would want. It is a really sweet little inverter, the only real drawback being 200A power limitation. Plus it is portable... but you'll be in for $2700 by the time you're done.

Part of the problem is that non-inverter TIG units which you might find used are going to be massive. And probably 3-phase (watch out for this -- the post was right about most homes being single phase). I don't imagine you'll find many used inverters.

You could get him a really nice MIG for that money, by the way.

It sounds crass, but if someone was spending this much money on me I'd want a gift certificate so that it could be spent exactly right.

Chris
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-14-2004 03:32
I looked at the miller site- Dynasty 200 will run on either 3 phase or single phase (not unusual for modern welding power sources but be sure before you lay your money down). Houses are invariably single phase. You correctly describe a 220 volt single phase circuit.
Bill
Parent - By Bob Sigmon (*) Date 01-15-2004 22:51
The Dynasty can be run single or 3 phase. Just buy the correct plugs for the power that you supply to it. I have mine running on 30amp 110/120 volts. You can also make up pigtail and adapt it to any voltage. The unit auto senses what voltage is being sent to it. This really helps with portability.

I wish they were cheaper but their not. I know because I just spent $3K on one. That was with all the haggling that I could muster.

Also remember that TIG requires an 11 - 13 shade, but then Dad should be able to handle that.

Best of Luck!

Bob Sigmon
Parent - By brande (***) Date 01-17-2004 06:38
Check out BR Welder in maryland. They do have a website and some very good pricing. Look at their "monthly specials" Don't get excited-they are the same every month!

If you want to stay in your price range, look at the Miller Econotig or Hobart Tigmate. Both are basically the same machine, made by the same factory, but the Miller is priced higher, for some reason.

You'll find that either of these machines run well, and run on the kind of power most have in their garages or homes. Torch, regulator, stick welding cables are all included. All you need is a cylinder of straight argon to be "ready to go".

I know of a number of professional shops using these machines every day.

They do offer a great value for home welding and tinkering.

BR will ship them right to your door.

If you want to go a few more dollars, The Lincoln Squarewave 175 is a good machine, although the torch they provide is a bit on the small side.
It is a "squarewave machine", but I am not sure this option is worth the money.

I weld aluminum most every day, but rarely ever find the need for the squarewave, except in very exacting applications.

Hope this helps some

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / null