Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / D1.1
- - By Daon (*) Date 12-31-2003 05:09
Can anyone explain to me what reentrant corners are?
It's listed in D1.1 Paragraph 5.16
Thanks and Happy New Year to all.
Daon
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 12-31-2003 12:55
The best place to understand reentrant corners is to go in the back of D1.1 in the commentary and review C5.16. Figure C5.1 shows some unacceptable reentrant corners. Generally it is where two cuts comes together and they are trying to insure there are no stress risers at the tangent points of the two cuts.
Parent - - By Daon (*) Date 01-02-2004 16:52
Soory, must have drunk too much. Could you be a little more specific.
Thanks,
Daon
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 01-02-2004 18:10
it's a corner where 2 or 3 welds intersect and go in different directions from each other. like on a stiffener plate reinforcing the webs to the flange of an H beam. you're supposed to cut the corners off of the stiffener plate where it intersects the corners of the H beam so you don't end up putting too many stress risers into the system.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2004 18:46
Hi welder guy,
I think what you are describing is located in Paragraph 2.8.3.5 Opposites sides of a common plane or maybe Paragraph 2.8.3.4 Transverse Stiffener Welds.(AWS D1.1:2002)
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2004 18:34
Daon,
I agree with R. Johnson. When you are cutting with the torch and make a cut from one side over towards the middle, then start from the opposite side and cut back towards your first cut and it doesn't meet in a clean line. You must dress it up by grinding any notches out to prevent stress raisers from developing from the notch. Typically when coping out a flange on a beam, it takes more than one cut and the radius needs to be nice and smooth when transitioning from the first to the second cut. If the two cuts don't meet properly you should grind the cope to a nice smooth radius rather than leaving it jagged.
Hope I didn't confuse you further. Check out Figure C5.1 and C5.2 and maybe the pictures will help show what we are trying to clarify.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2004 20:53
Daon,
I thought of another place that this is explained. On page 4-175 of the AISC's Manual of Steel Construction - Third edition(green book) Under Fabricating Practices - Copes, Blocks and Cuts.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-03-2004 20:29
I stated "Third Edition" and it's the Nineth Edition of the ASD manual, The LRFD manual (dark blue book) is the Third Edition.
Sorry for the confusion,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / D1.1