Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How can I get a smaller bead with Tig?
- - By Mike W (**) Date 01-02-2004 19:24
This is on 1/16 aluminum. I always end up with a larger deposit then I would like. What size filler wire would you use on 1/16 material? Also, when doing say a butt weld, I can see that both pieces are molten but don't flow together until I add a little filler. Then you can start moving. Is this due to surface tension? Thanks for any tips.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-02-2004 21:38
You didn't give enough specifics. What are you getting and what do you want.

It may only be 1/16" in cross section but what is the area?

Aluminum is a notorius heat sink and sometimes rather than flow it will just continue to soak up the heat from your torch untill the entire work reaches a preheated temp if the work is not so large it can give up the heat faster than you can apply it.

This means increasing you heat input making for a larger puddle. My thoughts would be to try preheating your work and don't get in a rush.

By that I mean don't crank the amps up so much you melt more area than you want to.
Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 01-02-2004 22:25
How about joining one square foot to a second piece 12" by 4". I would say the bead is twice the size that it should be compared to what you would get welding steel.
Parent - By EVWELDER (**) Date 01-03-2004 15:38
What size tungstan are you using and what size filler rod also what alloy is it 6061.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-03-2004 17:40
Do you have a gap at the butt?

How much? plus the other questions from EVWELDER?.

Are you useing AC & High freq? Is it new material?

Is the material clean? Some Aluminum comes with a coating. Or if it used material it may be Anodized.

You should be able to put down a bead the same as you can in Steel.
Or roughly 1 1/2 x the filler.
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 01-03-2004 20:50
I am using 1/16 4043 rod with a Syncrowave 250. I did some tests last night using a smaller mig wire and did better. I think my main problem is getting a good start on a bead. As you are heating up the two pieces in a butt joint it appears that surface tension keeps the metal from flowing together until you get the rod at the junction. Then they flow together and you can start to move.

I think I am just adding too much filler with the 1/16 rod. The electrode is 3/32. I had the machine set to 50 amps and have the remote pedal, using AC and HF. The aluminum is clean and uncoated. I had a small gap and found out it was too small to get full penetration.

If you wanted to do much thinner aluminum, what do you use for the rod? I appreciate your advice.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-03-2004 22:45
Mike,

For 1/16th inch 6061 Aluminum groove welds here are several tips to get a thinner bead profile.

If your torch is water cooled use a 1/16th inch tungsten with a pointed tip and blunt the tip slightly. (cerium or zirconium). If air cooled put a point on your 3/32 electrode (not a long slim point, rather a more radical angle)

Mechanically remove oxide from both sides of the material out 1/2 inch away from the weld right before striking an arc. 120 grit aluminum oxide sanding discs are best, a wire brush is just ok.

Set the balence control on your synchrowave 250 to 7 or 8, (more toward max. penetration) the higher the better as long as your getting sufficient cleaning action. This and your travel speed will have the most to do with your bead profile.

To get a small profile on the thickness you suggest the fit up must be perfect. This means no gaps and no roughly sheared edges.

I'm assuming your using 4043 filler wire.

Thin aluminum is welded best hot and fast. This takes some practice but in the end has the greatest effect on bead profile.

Set your machine to 90 amps, This way you don't have to wait for heat to build up before you go. You will use almost all of your footpedal for the start and then you will need to back off as the part gets hot, as you approach the end of the weld you will be nearly off the foot pedal.

In a groove weld it is normal to have to add a dab of wire to the two pieces to get them to fuse so don't worry about that.

The 0.063 (1/16) wire your using is just fine. I sometimes like to use a heavier wire 0.090 (3/32) for your thickness, the heavier wire can have a cooling effect on the puddle and makes for even faster travel speeds, again this takes a bit of practice.

Adding wire will become rythmic, as the pool becomes concave you will dip and move forward, dip the rod a little into the puddle rather than right on the leading edge like you would do with steel.

Keep your torch angle straight up and down (90 degrees), the heat goes where you point the tungsten and will make a wide dish if pointed ahead or to the sides.

You have a great machine and thats a big part of the battle with aluminum. With a few trials you will have a bead like a row if dimes.

Finally, don't be alarmed that your weld profile is wider than that of a similar thickness of steel, with larger reinforcement (penetration) on the back side. That is also normal for aluminum. Mil Specs and Codes give a greater allowance (sometimes twice as much as steels) for bead width and reinforcement.
Parent - - By jer (**) Date 01-04-2004 04:45
I have many times used .035 or .030. Iv'e bought this in the 1lb. rolls that I use just for filler, I cut piece off and then straighten it prior to use.
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 01-04-2004 09:34
Thanks guys, will try the good advise. I appreciate it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How can I get a smaller bead with Tig?