Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Hobart Clarke ReadyWelder
- - By TekTools Date 01-03-2004 05:05
Hello,

Newbie here. I've been trying to digest mig welder info. for a year now and at some point in the near future I will buy a unit. However, I still greatly appreciate first hand experience. So my questions:

1. At this point, I have reasoned that Lincoln and Hobart are about equivalent machines, in either 120 or 240 volt range. Anyone agree or disagree?

2. I also surmise from opinions that Clarke is an inferior machine. However, I have never read a review by someone that actually used a Clarke. Does anyone have specific experience as to why Clarke is an inferior welder? Please don't comment if you do not have specific knowledge concerning Clarke, and in the same frame of mind please don't be shy to comment positively about Clarke, even if it means you might risk "welder's wrath". I'm finding that most people just seem to strongly favor what they use or what there father used.

3. And lastly, has anyone used the Ready Welder (a battery powered welder)?

Thanks
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 01-05-2004 13:52
Welcome to the board.
Here are my opinions.......
Lincoln and Hobart are not equivalent machines. The lincoln equipment is superior to the Hobart for a number of reasons. I won't get into them, you'll just have to take my word for it. If you are looking for an equivalent to the Lincoln (SP 135 or 175 for example) the Miller machines are a closer bet. (Hobart machines are the entry level Miller machines to put it simply).
The Clarke welders are an offshore unit that have many shortcomings. The feed system is put together with inexpensive (cheap) parts, the transformer is fairly weak. the gun and consumables are of fairly low quality and can be hard to source. In the world of welding equipment, as with most things, you definitely get what you pay for. I am in sales and have sold Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, Thermadyne, Esab and the Clarke welders. Our main lines are the Lincoln and Miller. we chose these because of fewer problems with this equipment.
As for the Ready Welder, this is a surprising piece of equipment. I have sold a few of these also, but as with most "gimmick" machines was quite skeptical. This is a machine that will surprise you. Hook up to a couple of qood quality deep cycle marine batteries and you will be amazed at the output of this machine. I ran some .045 S-6 wire with an argon/co2/O2 blend and put down some serious filet welds on 3/8 mild steel. my only concern with this machine is the construction materials. I am a bit leary about the strength of the plastic housing, but if this machine is used for what it is designed for, it is pretty amazing.

Just my 2 cents worth........ have fun

Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 01-05-2004 19:14
Go with a 220 volt machine. I have a Hobart Betamig 200 that is 20 years old. I run it at 100 amps with .035 wire and CO2. It has given me zero problems.
Parent - - By TekTools Date 01-05-2004 20:12
Thanks Sparx and Mike,

I may research this Ready Welder a little bit more. One of the things that concerns me is the additional costs of the batteries. I wonder how long a deep cycle battery would give you service? Two additional batteries I'm sure would be another $100.00.
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 01-06-2004 01:59
To me this is like starting a truck. You don't want to use deep discharge batteries because their grid structure is not made for heavy currents. Off topic but I use a 24 volt 100 amp battery charger to power a couple of different wire feeders. I run it right at the limit but I tested it at 150 amps and it didn't blow up.
Parent - - By testweldguy (**) Date 01-06-2004 17:48
i really don't know if you know this or not , but when ITW bought HOBART , HOBART had to qiut making their higher amp machines. MILLER And HOBART now are BOTH owned by ITW. Lincoln was crying about a possible monopoly so HOBART sold off their "BIG" machines to Prestolite.HOBART still makes the beta migs and handlersBut is now made by MILLER. so really HOBART is only a name that MILLER uses.
"or something like that "
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-06-2004 19:51
Now that you mention it, I bought a Hobart 135 Handler (small GMAW machine) a couple years ago and the parts manual had Miller all over it. The extra tips and nozzles were in a Miller plastic bag. We have a Miller here in the maintenance guys shop and all of the parts seem to be interchangeable with mine at home.
John Wright
Parent - - By - Date 01-07-2004 01:48
While both Hobart & Miller MIG machines come down the same assembly line, there are differences in the machines themselves. Miller's wire feed drive is metal, and Hobart's is plastic.
ITW also owns a lot of other welding product manufacturers, just as Thermadyne does. It's a world of holding companys today, and at least ITW builds machines in the US, unlike Lincoln.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 01-07-2004 13:53
I have to question your remarks about Lincoln not building machines in the U.S. I have been to the Cleveland plant and rest assured....they have a pretty impressive assembly line going on there where they build their machines. There are also some machines built here in Canada at the Toronto facility.
Just curious.......
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 04-29-2004 01:57
i think the so called crying was about Lincoln not being able to buy ESAB but ITW was able to buy Hobart,,,,, anyway i think Hobart Handler 120 is the best 120V Hobart machine ever made.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-29-2004 20:16
Hi SA-200!
I found out about a month or so that Lincoln did indeed buy ESAB because our local Lincoln regional sales manager here in western PA, explained this to me when we were at an AWS meeting held at a manufacturing plant in the Pittsburgh area where they (cannot mention the company's name) were using both Lincoln & ESAB power sources.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 04-29-2004 23:49
Hi,
Since 1994 ESAB has been owned by the British company Charter plc. which is a group of manufacturing businesses, each of which has a strong global market position. ESAB headquarters is now in London, UK. since 2002.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2004 21:32
Hi SA-200!
It was my understanding that ESAB also has operations and manufacturing facilities in North America and I'm specifically referring to the equipment manufactured from the Florence, SC plant which used to be the old L-Tec/Linde/Union Carbide plant...

As far as their other global operations are concerned, I could'nt tell you if Lincoln Electric has a stake or not so, maybe the folks from the UK sold their North American interests to Lincoln Electric. At least this is my understanding as to what Lincoln now (2003-2004) owns...

Now that I've thought about it, Maybe "Ladycwi" can clarify more about whether or not Lincoln now has a stake with ESABNA since she works at their R&D center in Hanover, PA. I'll also ask her and some other Lincoln buddies that I know and get back to you.

Respectfully,
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2004 23:16
Hi SA-200!

I just found out through Hoovers.com (Financial news website) that Lincoln had initially agreed to buy Charter but at the last minute the deal was called off so, I guess Lincoln Electric unfortunately "got a bit of egg in their face" when they introduced those ESAB power sources to one of their customers... Oh well, Lincoln should've waited until the deal was completed before bringing in the ESAB equipment.

Respectfully,
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 05-03-2004 03:51
Hi ssbn727
Lincoln is definately a corporate giant nowday's. They appear to be a good company though. So many company's nowday's that get bigger seem to have making money top priority, like the oil company's. The good old day's when the big 4 welding manufactures were independently owned are gone. Times are changing and we just hope for the best. I do like seeing new products coming out and new technologies....
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-05-2004 06:19
Hi SA-200!
I hear you buddy!!!
All the best!!!
Respectfully,
Parent - - By spicer Date 04-28-2004 14:28
I'm new here, I've had my off road truck shop for six years now and I have A lincoln 400 amp mig and a little clarke EN100 we use the daylights out of the clarke becuase it's easy to move around the shop and the only problem I've had was a little switch in the trigger. We run the ten pound spools about one A month. So I don't know why people put them down, PS> my father has A machine shop with A hobart handler135 and he's happy with it no problems at all out of it!
Parent - By cutter220 (*) Date 05-02-2004 04:27
you don't need a 400 amp mig machine for off road vehicles.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Hobart Clarke ReadyWelder