Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / QUALIFICATION for shop
- - By ceatig58 (*) Date 01-08-2004 01:46
Yes I am trying to find out what it is I need to do to get my shop qualified to do pressure vessels with MIG and DUAL SHEILD.We already have are U stamp and R stamp I just took over as Quality Control Manager and have never had to do this before I could use some help .
Thanks everybody for your info I am reading my code books now starting with qualifications IX.And I did talk to are AI and he put me in contact with a person that was familiar with this process.He gave me a type of wire to use it is a micro wire 70S6 .035 or can I use the same wire that I use now it is a sheild arc 85.And another question I have is were can I get a copy of the PQR & WQR .
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2004 03:44
Qualify the procedures and write the WPS's and qualify the welders. That is about it. The guidelines for doing this are in ASME Sec IX.

If you are a stampholder, someone should already be familar with this process. Another place to look is in your QA Manual.

If you took this over from a predecessor it may take you awhile to get up to speed. The requirements for qualification of WPS's and Welder Performance can sometimes be intimidating. Just take your time to become familar with the code. Feel free to ask any questions.

As a manufacturer you maintain the reponsibility to qualify your procedures and welders. No 3rd party involvement is required. Also speak with your AI. Let him know you are taking this over and may need some help.

Both of the processes you mentioned are used to fabricate pressure vessels however it is (in my opinion) a good idea to have an engineer familar with pressure vessel fabrication to review the welding practices however I haven't seen where this is required.

Hope this helps a little, good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2004 12:43
Hi Chris,
I'm familiar with feeling uneasy about taking on the role of QC/QA Manager. I had to do that very thing several years ago when our QC guy became very ill and later passed away before I was able to get the info and experience needed for the position. It is a big role to have to step into.
I'm not that familiar however with ASME sections or code, but several forum users are and are eager to help in anyway they can, so ask questions and bounce things off of them that you are unsure about. This forum has a host of knowledgable people that monitor the posts pretty regular and answers usually come relatively quick.
Good Luck with your searches,
John Wright
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-08-2004 13:05
Couldn't agree more with both responses! My company has the U, R as well as several Section III stamps. Best advice: read, read, read all of the codes and referenced standards you can stomach, then go back and do it again....... and again! You should become absolutely fluent in your companies QA and QC Manuals. Good luck and post back to let us know how things are coming! Happy New Year to all!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-08-2004 17:32
Yes it is important to absorb all the knowledge you can stomach. You will need a broad knowledge-base to draw from.
I just want to add that it is probably more important, or at least as important, to remember where the information is written in the code books. Many times you will have to "prove" what the code says to others, and it's good to review the actual wording for yourself from time to time. I know I have mis-remembered the code a time or two...or three.

It seems daunting at first, but like anything, you will grow into the job. You will find that the "QA/QC Club" has a limited membership, meaning not everyone wants anything to do with quality control. But you will also find that "club members" are very willing to help out with what they have learned.
I wish you success.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 01-08-2004 21:18
I guess that would work in my situation as well. I am mainly experienced with AWS codes and their formats. Since I am wanting to learn more about ASME code work that would probably be the best way for me to go. Get the codes, sec. 9 and others and start reading and consuming as much as possible and hope I remember some of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By chall (***) Date 01-08-2004 18:33
Excellent responses.

I would add one thing: make sure you completely understand any unique WPS qualification issues that apply in Section VIII specifically. If there are Charpy Impact requirments, qualification of the WPS in accordance with just Section IX will not cover all the bases.

Section VIII is very cumbersome in this area, so if Charpy Impacts are required, most Authorized Inspectors will be able to help out with the interpretation quite a bit.

Good luck from someone who started the same way.
Charles
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-08-2004 21:49
Chris
Right here is where I got a tremendous amount of help and support when I was put in your position.

You will need to learn to think and speak like the codes are written. It’s a big hump to get over but once the mud thins out it falls in place pretty quick.

When you ask specific questions you’ll find the collective knowledge & experience on this forum is unbeatable.

I also cheated and convinced my employer to hire a consultant to tutor me while we prepared to go ISO.

Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-09-2004 19:12
I agree with all of the responses above espically getting some help from your AI. I work with several and they have always been available for questions and guideance.

NBIC offers workshops and seminars that many find helpful. The address to the seminar page is

http://www.nationalboard.org/Training/description.html

Good luck!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / QUALIFICATION for shop