Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Pipe (A516 Gr 65) with E 7010-P1
- - By GOKHANYAMAN (*) Date 01-08-2004 12:19
hi everbody..

Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR to EVERYBODY..

My question is: have anybody done Welding Procedure Test for Welding of 30"x34.9 mm LTCS (ASTM A 516 Gr 65) pipe with SMAW and PWHT for Pipeline as per API 1104 ?
Welding Progress:
Root pass: E 6010 Up Hill
Others : E 7010-P1 Down Hill
Preheat : 100 C degree

Charpy requirements @ -40 C degree and Min. 26 / ava. 36 Joule. from Weld metal Root and Face & Fusion Line and FL + 2mm

Thanks for your advises...

Regards...

Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-12-2004 19:45
A 516 Gr 65 is plate material, so I deduct that it has been rounded and longitudinal welded to make pipe out of it.
I agree on the first pass with E 6010 electrode, with the following comment: 30 inches (roughly 760 millimeters) is a large diameter. If the weld is done by just one welder, there's the risk (great risk, by the way) of getting the two pieces of pipe out of line (disalignment) before the weld is complete. I would strongly recommend to make the weld with two welders working at the same time 180° apart one from each other. In this manner, one will work uphill while the other will work downhill. No problem, E 6010 is an "all position" eletrode.
I don't agree with E 7010 for the other passes. Low hydrogen E 7018 would be better. In this case you'll still have two welders working at the same time, but, as E 7018 is an "up hill" electrode, one welder will start at the 180° (the pipe bottom) position welding uphill right to the top; and the other will start at the 270° (the pipe left side) position also welding uphill. When the second welder arrives at the pipe top (0° position), he'll go down to the 180° and will weld up hill until he arrives to the 270° position. Understand?
That's how I used to do with good results back in my days of erector engineer.
As for PWHT requirements, look at the applicable Code. Is it an oil pipeline? In this case, ASME/ANSI B 31.4 applies. Is it a gas pipeline?
Then, ASME/ANSI B 31.8 is the answer. Is it a water main? There must be some AWWA specification applicable.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Pipe (A516 Gr 65) with E 7010-P1