Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum Wheels
- - By ArkWeld Date 01-10-2004 05:23
Hello All,
Recently with the popularity of high dollar after market aluminum rims mated with very low profile tires on cars and pick-ups I've been getting customers in my shop asking me to weld cracks that are being caused from the first class roads here in Arkansas. (we've stolen indoor plumbing technology from Mississippi but have yet to get a grasp on it also). It seems that as they hit potholes with this combination there's no sidewall to take the shock and it gets transmitted directly to the rim. I've been refusing to do any kind of repair weld for liability and safety reasons. Is there anyone out there with an opinion on this? Thanks!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-10-2004 21:19
I'm not an expert on repairing aluminum wheels by any means. However, my opinion on it agrees with yours. I would not want to trust a repaired wheel with my life, and I don't want to meet anyone careening out of control with a failure. And I certainly wouldn't want my family or anyone else to be injured or worse.
the wheels are cracking for a reason, and even when you can do a proper repair, why wouldn't they crack again? The roads certainly aren't getting repaired.

I understand that people want to save money, I'm that way myself. I just feel that if conditions are such that cracking is a problem, maybe they should be using a steel wheel and/or more sidewall. Save the other wheels for the racetrack. (You can tell I'm not in my teens or 20s anymore.)

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 01-10-2004 21:25
I agree. I see these wheels all the time with 1 or 2" of sidewall. I don't see how they can survive on rough roads.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-10-2004 21:23
I'm not an expert on repairing aluminum wheels by any means. However, my opinion on it agrees with yours. I would not want to trust a repaired wheel with my life or my family's, and I don't want to meet anyone careening out of control with a failure.
The wheels are cracking for a reason, why wouldn't they crack again? The roads certainly aren't getting repaired.

I understand that people want to save money, I'm that way myself. I just feel that if conditions are such that cracking is a problem, maybe they should be using a steel wheel and/or more sidewall. Save the other wheels for the racetrack. (You can tell I'm not in my teens or 20s anymore.)

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-10-2004 22:09
Not with a ten foot pole!

Not even with a factory repair spec (which I doubt exists) would I take personal responsibility for such a repair.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-12-2004 12:48
I think I agree with the other replies you have received. Additionally, you don't know the grade of material these are mfg'd with, which would make repairs only a guess at best. I believe I would go with your instincts to leave these alone. Maybe the wheel mfg could warranty the wheels that are defective? I would at least check into it anyway.
My two cents,
John Wright
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 01-12-2004 13:06
I agree with above advise.

We have a rim manufacturer in Jax (Enkei, very impressive plant) and have been in their plant several times. The testing is intense and rejection criteria is very small. If they have any defects, they scrap, remelt and recast. They certainly have no repair procedures in place there.
Parent - By cawelder (**) Date 01-15-2004 23:43
If you check the local laws or DOT regulations, most of them will not allow welding on wheels. If a wheel is cracked, it has to be destroyed beyond use. To keep it from being used by mistake.

Chuck
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum Wheels