Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / new to forum/need weld inspector info
- - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 01-10-2004 21:07
I have been trying to find some information on where and when there will be a welding inspector classes and certifiction test, on the west coast. Arizona would be best.
Double LL

Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 01-11-2004 03:06
contact aws they will have all info u need
Parent - - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 01-11-2004 14:13
You can look under Certifiction on this website. There should be a calendar posted.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-12-2004 14:10
LL; just a bit of advice. I dont know if the courses are for you but if they are, I strongly recommend purchasing the CERTIFICATION MANUAL FOR WELDING INSPECTORS before you take the class. In my own experience, 6 months of pre-study in this manual will make the courses much more valuable to you. I'm sure there are those who may disagree but that's my best advice!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-12-2004 15:07
I have to second Jon. That was my only study materail besides Welding Handbook Volume 1 and the codes.

I had CM-80. I don't know what version they are up to now.

G Austin
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-12-2004 19:42
I,too, agree. I wholeheartedly believe that the more study a person does before attending a seminar, the more they will get out of it and will do well on the exam.
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 01-31-2004 05:15
I want to thank all of you for the sound advise you offered. I have dicided to take the Horbart two week cwi-cwe preparation course #540.
When my code books come in I will tab them as one of the writters suggested. Mr. Casey my Instructor at Northland Pioneer Collage has suggested some other nerve saveing tips,
If you certifie with the cwi will that give you the cwe cert.'s also.
Parent - - By EVWELDER (**) Date 01-31-2004 21:22
I am a CWI that went to the Hobart 2 week class June 2003
I believe it was worth the time and money. I believe you can also get your CWE cert. if you have the right qualifications when you take and pass your test. I also had the certification manual for welding inspectors and found it to be very helpful that would be a good investment.

Good luck!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-18-2004 09:20
Hi everyone!
I had asked the same question about becoming a CWE by passing the CWI exam... Needless to say, I called the AWS headquarters in Miami and the person I spoke with made me wonder about whether or not this person was referring to QC 5-91...

According to QC 5-91 I looked at first to levels of certification in section 2. It states; "A Certified Welding Educator (CWE) is a person certified by AWS as having met the qualification requirements of 5.1 and section 6. This shall be the only level of certification of welding educators."
So I read 5.1 and section 6 and some of the info that was explained to me did'nt make sense so maybe somebody with a better understanding can offer some clarification here...

Anywho, in 5.1 (section 5 - Education and Experience Requirements) it states: "The following applies to each applicant for certification as a Certified Welding Educator (CWE):

"5.1 The applicant shall be a high school graduate; or hold a state or military approved high school equivalency diploma." No problem there in fact, no problem with 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 or with 1. and 2. below in the Alternatives to 5.1 and 5.2 on the bottom of page 2.

Now I go on to read page 3. where one finds section 6. "Examination Requirements" Which states: "The following applies to a CWE Applicant:
"6.1 The applicant shall pass a written examination on fundamental welding principles including welding processes, nondestructive testing processes, safety, basic welding metallurgy, welding symbols, print reading, equipment, process/equipment trouble-shooting, and basic arithmetic or have passed either the CWI or CAWI Closed Book examination." No problem with that also...

Then it (QC 5-91) goes on to state in "6.2: The applicant shall pass a test on practical welding inspection including determining qualification standards from a code or specification or have passed the CWI or CAWI Practical examination." No problem with that also...

Then I read further to: "6.3 The applicant shall have a valid AWS Certified Welder ID/Certification card or its equal, or shall pass a valid AWS Certified Welder test, for the process to be taught."
This is where I had question as to whether or not the word "valid" meant current. The person from the AWS explained that this was the case so I had no problem with that either because I could easily re-certify before taking the exam but, what I told was that I could not apply for the CWI/CWE exam without having a current, effective, hence - the word valid AWS Certified Welder ID/Certification card or its equal when I applied for, and not when I take the CWI/CWE exam... Is this correct?
My other question is that if I do not have a "valid" Certified Welder ID/Certification card or its equal at the time I or anyone else for that matter, apply for the CWI/CWE exam, then what does it mean in 6.3 of QC5-91 where it states: " or shall pass a valid AWS Certified Welder test, for the welding process to be taught." at the end of 6.3?
Also, if a current CWE is teaching let's say, GTAW but, does'nt have a current or valid AWS certified welder ID/Certification card for that process, and yet is certified in another process like SMAW or GMAW, or FCAW, is'nt this person not qualified to teach the GTAW process as a CWE? I wonder how many CWE's are unaware of this if this is the case?

When I got to 6.4, I really got confused with what the person explained to me. This person explained to me that because I was disabled, and had not taught recently on a full time basis (in the last 15 months) although, I have taught on a part time basis inconsistently. Nonetheless, I could provide evidence of successful classroom and laboratory instruction from previous schools that I had taught welding technology on a full time basis. In QC 5-91 it states: "6.4 The applicant shall furnish evidence of having met the instructional methods requirements of the applicant's school, college, or training institution. Evidence shall also be furnished of successful classroom and laboratory instruction. This shall consist of written evaluation by the applicant's administrator and recommendation that the applicant be recognized as an AWS Certified Welding Educator.". Here is where I'm also confused because, nowhere does it say "valid", or "current", or "recent" as it pertains to the applicant's requirement to show evidence of successful classroom and laboratory instruction or to have met the instructional methods requirements of the applicant's school, college, or training institution... Also, as far as I understand it, nowhere does it specifically state that I have to be currently teaching at the time of my application on a full time basis either... Am I incorrect here because I cannot for the life of me, find it anywhere in QC 5-91 or in QC 1-96? Am I missing something here?

Please do not misinterpret my questions as to making direct or indirect derogatory comments towards the AWS because that is NOT my intention here! All I'm asking is for some clarification regarding the requirements necessary in applying for the CWI/CWE exam so, if someone could help me out here, I would be extremely grateful!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-19-2004 03:43
Well, I guess I found the answers to my questions by re-reading the application forms and not in QC 5-91... Oh well, I best go hit the books without my glasses on!!! I've got to laugh at myself for not practicing my own advice I give to others sometimes!!! I apologize for the CONFUSION folks!!!

Funny, I scheduled a visit to the eye doctor this coming monday for the visual acuity record - only to find out that I can read the small print in the application without my current pair of glasses!!! The second time I read the "CWE Welding Instructor Credentials" application form:
Cert-CWI/CWE Exam Application (3008.doc)-2/6/03, the clarity of my vision was indisputably superior when compared to reading the application with my glasses on!!!

Man! I should hit myself upside my head for not remembering to take my glasses off when reading any paper document!!! Sometimes I forget that I use my glasses for driving and not for reading except when I'm on the computer ( my eyes are 32" or 812.8 mm away from the center of my monitor - I've got to remember to enlarge the text when I view the .pdf files)... Live and learn!!! Wow - I'm sure glad that I realized this now before taking the actual exam!!!
(?}:^{0}

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By Cheyrle Date 03-17-2004 20:04
I do not advise the Welding Manual for Inspectors. The book that is used in the seminar is the Welding Inspection Technology which can be purchased through Global Engineering for a hefty price of $264.00. There is also a workbook that can purchased separately for about $90.00. This particular workbook contains questions and answers that may be on the exam. Check it out. Really informative. Good Luck, Cheyrle or you can e-mail me at (weldercjmt@aol.com)
Parent - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 04-19-2004 20:42
Will do I will let everyone know which book was the most helpful to me
Parent - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 04-19-2004 20:39
I took your advice and I will study hard. I can't finish all my collage courses in time for the May 10 start date at Hobart so I had to reschedule for July 19 sesson. I have a great mentor in Curtis Casey he is a wealth of information, he is the head of the Northland Pioneer College VocTec. and the High Schools NAVIT Program which by the way took the Gold for the third year in a row in the Arizona Welding Competition. We are very proud of Mr. Casey and his students.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / new to forum/need weld inspector info