Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Resume question
- - By Mathius (**) Date 01-10-2004 23:52
I'm not sure where else to put this... I hope I selected the proper forum..

Anywho, my question, when writing a resume, I have a question. Where do most of you list your certifications?

Mathius
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 01-16-2004 17:34
I put mine under education/training.
Hope that helps.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-20-2004 14:56
For what it's worth, I have a summary of qualifications placed directly below my name, address, etc. and then go straight into employment history.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-21-2004 05:27
The probability of anything on a resume being seen goes way down as the page number rises. If you want it seen (and I think you should) find a way to get it onto the first page.
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-21-2004 12:14
I'll have to agree with Bill, the K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid) method produces resume's that people will read over with a glance and still figure out whether you'll fit in the position they need filled. Busy people looking over lots of resume's will only take enough time to glance at them. If you don't catch their eye in that glance, you won't get interviewed. One page resume's are more condusive to catching a reader's eye. Get the basic facts on there about yourself and fill in the rest in the interview. I haven't been in a position that needs to have my resume's read over recently(I've worked at the same place for 20 years now) but I get to look over lots of resume's, my collegues and I agree that the simple resume's catch the most looks. The two and three page resume's are impressive to hand out but they don't always get looked at.
Just from my point of view,
John Wright
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 02-19-2004 13:01
I will take what John said one step farther... In my opinion, unless you have 50 yrs of experience, you probably haven't done enough to warrant more than one page. Your resume isn't your life history, it is a summary that should picque interest and encourage a personal interview to expand on the content. I am always amazed at the Engineers with 2 yrs experience that hand me a three page resume...

Regards,
Bill
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-19-2004 16:42
I know I am going catch *&%$#@ for this but my feelings are that some companys are looking for people who put forth some extra effort rather than just the bare bones of what is needed. Why else would they ask for info about your hobbies or ambitions.

My resume is longer than 3 pages because I happen to be very good at more than one thing and would be an asset to any company in more than one area should they need it.

But then again I do have almost 50 years experience. But even back almost 50 years ago I could fill out a full page.

I say don't be bashful, toote your horn and let them know they better grab you up before some one else does.

Unless all you want is to stand in one place all your working life.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-19-2004 18:57
I think Ron’s point is essentially valid, more so as the technical/responsibility level increases. What were really talking about in this thread is CRAFTSMANSHP in how we go about competing for a job. And believe me, good craftsmanship will be recognized; in the field or on paper the cream rises to the top. The job hunter wants to make sure this happens sooner rather than later.

If your applying as a field hand or a welder at a production shop a one page resume' is just fine no matter how little or great your experience. As the scope of the position you compete for moves to a higher level, more information can be brought to bear. I have recent experience on both sides of this issue, as an evaluator and one being evaluated by a hiring board.

I think the best answer to the problem of providing more information about you than can fit on one page is to produce letters of recommendation along with the application and resume. There are many instances when what others say about you can be more powerful than what you say about yourself. Furthermore, having a ready letter rather than simply supplying an address and phone number of a reference person shows the employer you have prepared more than others and are motivated to do extra.

Another excellent tool in the job hunt is to have a couple of essays (yes essays) that state your views on subjects particular to the industry/specialty you are applying to. Have you ever looked at an application and wished you had more room to write or time to produce more concise thoughts with better handwriting? An essay in your briefcase might be just the trick

Résumés are intended to be brief and concise, providing the essentials to persuade the reader to look deeper into you as a potential employee. Having that extra information/data in the form of reference letters, essays and selected copies of certifications (at least one for each process) can make the difference between a hiring manager making a decision about you on the spot or putting your resume back in the file.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Resume question